I Don't Want To Choose

Seungcheol's POV

"Are you the husband of Mrs. Choi?" I adjusted the phone in my hand and frowned.

"Yeah, I am. Who is this?"

"I am calling on behalf of Gangnam hospital. Your wife got into a major accident at work, and we need you to come down to fill out some paperwork." I looked at the kids playing on the floor and mentally sighed. I guess they have to go with me.

"Yeah, I'll be right over." I hung up the phone and stuffed it in my back pocket. I know Minseo will be home in ten minutes, but I don't think I should leave them unsupervised for that long. But it's also not a very good idea to take them with me. Dang it.

"Boys, get your shoes and coats on. We're going to go see Mommy." At the mention of their Mother, Mingyu and Wonwoo instantly lifted their arms and made grabby hands. This is going to be harder than I thought.

...

"Choi Seungcheol." The lady at the reception desk typed my name in a computer and looked at my children. Hoshi had been crying since the minute he saw we were at a hospital, so I had him on my hip. Since I then couldn't carry the Meanies, they were clinging to each other, but they kept falling over. Dk, Jihoon and Seungkwan were all holding hands and BooSeok were trying to copy Jihoon's straight face.

"Would you like me to watch your kids for you?" I quickly nodded and sat everyone down on a couch in the waiting room.

"Stay right here and listen to the nice lady, okay?" I was about to put Hoshi in charge since he's the oldest, but one look at him clinging to Seungkwan like a life line made me change my mind.

"I'll be right back." The majority of them nodded and I went down the hallway in the direction of my wife's room number.

I walked into the room, only to find it empty. A doctor walked in and appeared to be startled at my presence.

"Are you Choi Seungcheol?" I nodded and his face went grim.

"We have had some complications with your wife. With her, what used to be, slight case of schizophrenia, it's difficult to treat her and the baby. We can put her on a series of drugs that would help her through the schizophrenia, and help her recover from the nasty fall she took. But that would kill the baby. We could also put her through an emergency C-section and put the baby in a neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU, but that has a high chance of her dying."

As I took in the doctor's words, my knees buckled underneath me and I collapsed on the ground. I have to choose between the love of my life and my unborn child. What did I ever do to deserve this fate?

"She's awake, but not for long if you would like to talk this over with her." I nodded and the doctor helped me to my feet. Supporting me the whole way to the operation theater.

As soon as the doctor opened the door, I ran to my wife's side and gently held her hand. She smiled weakly at me and I heard the doctor leave the room.

"So, is Chan going to be okay?" That all depends on us now.

I took in a deep breath and I knew she saw right through me. "I've got to chose between you and Chan."

Tears streamed down my face and she reached up to wipe them. "I'll make it easy for you. Save Chan."

I knew you would say that. But what about you? "That would leave our kids motherless."

Her hand rested on my cheek and I held it in my own. "We both know that if we save me, we'll never truly be with our kids. We'll be haunted by not saving our child."

"And what am I supposed to do without you?"

She smiled every so softly and laid her other hand on her small baby bump. He's going to be so tiny. "You're supposed to live, Seungcheol. You're supposed to be a Father to our thirteen wonderful children. I know it'll be hard at first, but you'll find a way."

Easy for you to say. "What am I supposed to tell them?"

"The truth, Seungcheol. Tell them I love them and that a life on drugs isn't one I want to live." She laughed a bit and shut her eyes. "I'm tired."

"Jagiya, stay with me a bit longer, please." Tears streamed down my face even harder and it became difficult to breathe.

"Relax Seungcheol, I'm only taking a nap."

The door opened abruptly and the doctor came back in. "Have you decided yet?" I was about to answer the doctor that we need more time. That I would give anything for a bit more time, but I knew time wasn't something I had on my side.

"Save our child." I looked up at my wife. Her voice sounded so sure. Why can't I feel closure in our decision?

The doctor nodded. "Just so you know, there's a high possibility that you won't make it."

I couldn't bare look at anyone anymore. It hurt too much. "That means there's a chance I will. And I would rather take that and save our child than save myself." She grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

"Seungcheol, did you bring the kids here?" My eyes widened at the thought of what they could be doing in the waiting room.

"BooSeokSoon and under are in the waiting room since Minseo was bringing everyone else home." She nodded and smiled.

"While they're saving Chan, bring them home and then come back. I want your face to be one of the first one I see." She smiled so brightly I couldn't help but have a bit of hope myself. How can you be so optimistic?

"Mr. Choi, I'm going to have to ask you to leave so we can get to work." I nodded and kissed my wife.

"I love you so much. You have no idea." She kissed me back and then pushed me towards the door.

"I love you to, Seungcheol. But now you have to go." I stumbled backwards and the doctor lead me out.

"We'll try our best." I nodded and he let go of me. I wandered around the hospital until I found a bathroom. I cleaned myself up so I wouldn't scare the kids and left.

I walked into the waiting room to find they were all sitting there and behaving for the secretary. I put on a smile and picked up Hoshi who had reduced to a silent cry.

"I'm going to drop you guys off at home and then I'll come back to Mommy. She said to to tell you that she loves you all, and she can't wait to see you when she's better." I just hope that isn't a lie.