Through Glass

There is a hum of a heart monitor next to me. My eyes slowly flutter open to see nothing but a bright light, and they close once more. There is a strange feeling in my body, almost numbness; though it doesn't cease to let me feel the weight of the cool blanket. My head gets waves of pain. Small waves, barely there waves. The numbness fights it.

A new sound enters the room. This time it is the low hum of voices. They aren't loud enough for me to make out what they are saying, so it doesn't bother me. They must think I am still asleep. Or maybe don't want me to hear their discussion. It still doesn't bother me.

The voices move closer, and a hand is placed on my cheek. This hand, this warm hand, caresses my temple. This gesture is a familiar one, and sends a wave of lust-like shivers down my spine. The decision insn't hard to make that the gesture came from Adam.

My hand slowly makes it's way up to meet his; as soon as it rests atop his, my eyes flutter open once more. This time my pupils are not afraid of the light, they welcome it. They want and need it.

The figure I see once I focus, is tall and dark. Sad and confused. And all mine.

"Adam" my voice comes out as weak and frail. But it buys a reply.

"Ariel, my lovely. You came back." he had a weak voice as well. Why?

"What's wrong?" this time, my voice starts to sound clearer, but still wounded.

He sighs and says,"What's wrong? Nothing now. Nope. At this very moment...nothing is wrong."

As much as his cliché-ness is sweet, I know that there is something wrong. The look in his eyes says it all. His dark pupils surrounded by rings of light blue and green. Something in hem has changed since I had last seen them. Something that couldn't have happened over night. No. His eyes are full of loss, pain, despair, misery, hate. People say that eyes are the gateway to the soul, now would be a time to believe that. Something is wrong.

Why won't he tell me?

"Adam." I tried to sound firm, but my voice didn't want to cooperate. Instead it came out cracked and dry sounding. I continued anyway. "Really. What happened?"

My brain lurched for answers, trying to put pieces together but not having enough pieces to complete the puzzle. What is causing Adam to be so frail?

"You don't need to worry about anything right now. The doctor is going to come in soon, okay? He will take care of you. I have to go, I have to go....but I love you and I am so glad you're finally back."his lips met my forehead in a subtle kiss, then said, "Just please stay."

I found myself nodding without even knowing what it is I came from, and wanting to stay away from. He retreated out of the room, so I took my chance at sleuthing out the answers to my unasked questions.

"Ah-ah, nope. You need to stay in bed young lady. You are too fragile at the moment to be up a about." Doctor Watson had entered the room only a few seconds after Adam had left and had saw me attempting to loosen away from the wires and tubes running in and out of my body.

"Dr. Watson,  what happened? I mean, why....isn't Adam telling me anything? What happened to me?" I am desperate for answers, and I hope that Dr. Watson will relieve some of the tensions building up in my brain.

He let out an exasperated sigh. "Ariel.....I know that I am your doctor....and I should tell you what happened. However, I am not sure you're ready to find out. What you went through, is truly sad. Heart breaking. Your boyfriend, Adam, and I talked. He was quite emotional about the whole situation...and he said he will tell you when he thinks it's right."

This made me furious. Adam is going to tell me when he thinks it's right? And when is that going to be? I know when I can or can't handle something. What makes him so sure of my feelings?

These thoughts constantly ran through my head as I watched Dr. Watson untangles multiple tubes and wires.

"When do you think he will tell me?" I asked in attempt to calm myself down. Whatever had happened, it had been eating away at my nerves.

Dr. Watson came to the edge of my bed and sat down at my feet. I took in his image. His light brown hair was greying and reached down to the middle of his forehead. His eyes were a warm hazel, and his eyes brows were furrowed, I imagined he was trying to find words to say. He wasn't the tallest man, but he was tall enough to draw commands. All in all, he was an attractive man, in a strange, caring kind of way. He was....a comforting essence to the atmosphere.

He drew in a long breathe. "Well, when he tells you what happened, it would be when the time is right. I don't know when that is, but I trust him to be faithful to his word. Faithful to you. Now I may not be the smartest man in the universe, but I do think that Adam would know when that time is." he paused for a moment of reflection, "I know you are frustrated with the answers you are getting, or lack thereof. But you will get the answers soon, just you wait."

He brought a smile to my face, which seemed to bring a smile to his.

"Thank you Dr. Watson."

He was trying his hardest to comfort me, and I paid off. What he said, was right. I should trust Adam as well. If he thinks I am not ready to know what happened, or if he isn't ready to face the facts...then I will just have to be patient.

It still doesn't change the fact that I desperately want answers.