Here's Your New Ship

A month passed and Lux hardly left my side.

He made sure that I ate and slept and he soothed me when I awoke from my nightmares. I soon found myself worrying about him. He looked exhausted and barely saw him drinking any blood. I was afraid of what happened to a vampire who didn't eat. If it was anything like- like I had felt... I didn't want him to go through that. Perhaps it was different, it could be easier. Or- or worse.

At the moment we laid curled upon the bed. It was a rare calm moment. No fighting him over eating something. No night terrors. No screaming. Just... us.

Lux sat behind me, my back was pressed against his chest and I sat between his legs. In my lap laid his laptop. His arms were curled tightly around my abdomen and his chin rested in the crook of my neck as he watched me play some sort of computer game. It made me feel like a kid again. Even though when I was actually a kid humans were just getting over the whole 'witch burning' thing. I felt Lux sigh softly and the heat of his breath tickled the hairs on my neck.

I jumped ever so slightly as I died. Again. The vampire squeezed his arms around me gently. I blinked and laid my head on his shoulder. Before twisting my face into his neck. I didn't want to play anymore. Lux took the hint and clapped the lid shut. He set it to the side and rolled us over as softly as he could. I winced as the fabric of my shirt scraped against the still sensitive wound on my lower abdomen. It spanned across a good part of my belly. Red and ugly every time I glimpsed it.

The incision, they'd said, would take a while to heal since they had to use 'special substances' to keep it from healing over while my baby was ...removed. The special substance being a holy one, a rare powder or liquid that could potentially immobilize a demon. And stop them from healing. All hospitals had a very limited supply. Just in case. Demon ones, at least.

I pressed my body against him and we became a tangle of limbs. My arms wound themselves around his waist as I buried my face in his chest. Lux purred from deep in his chest and ran his fingers over my shoulder blades. It had been like this the past few days. If he could finally coax me to lie down, then he'd lull me to sleep through brushes and pets. We'd often take naps to accommodate for the loss of sleep I'd caused the both of us. The vampire's warm breath fanned over my head as he pulled me closer to his chest.

It seemed as though sleep had almost fallen over me when I felt Lux's body go rigid. His hand clamped onto my hip.

"It appears his highness has popped in for a surprise visit," he grit his teeth in mild annoyance. For a few thundering moments, I thought he'd meant Cassius. But the way he'd spoken told me that was not the case. It ached all over again to think of him. To think of my body so close to Lux. And to feel the burden of my scar weighing on me like an anchor. "You don't have to speak with him if you don't want to."

I nodded numbly and pressed my face into his chest again, inhaling his scent. It calmed me in a way I didn't like to admit. I could hear footsteps stomping up the stairs and slid my eyes closed.

"You fucker, do you know how long you've been gone?" Someone seethed as the door was pried open. It was a male voice, smooth and a tad commanding. I could hear the stranger's breath catch slightly as he stepped into the room. "Are you seriously fucking with me right now Lux?"

"Go away Bane I'm busy," ah, so that's who it was. Infamous vampire king of the American district.

"Busy my ass. I thought you didn't do boyfriends?" Bane sounded simply appalled at the sight of us.

"Not my boyfriend," I could almost feel Lux rolling his eyes. The other man sniffed the air.

"Holy shit, Lux, are you fucking with me?" The vampire king was... not what I'd expected. "You found your mate?"