A Lil' Bit Of Action

I awoke to the quiet sound of hushed voices. It took me a moment to open my eyes and see Jamie and Nikolai. My friend was leaning back on his elbows while Nikolai loomed over him. The vampire had a hand on the bed beside Jamie's hip like a cage.

"Jamie," I mumbled and stretched my legs out. He startled and turned towards me. Nikolai eased off him and stood by the edge of the bed.

"Alabaster, we have to talk," he answered and stood up, I leaned my back against the headboard and curled my knees to my chest.

"Okay," my voice sounded small and hoarse so I cleared sky throat awkwardly.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to," Nikolai informed and pulled up a chair from the desk in the corner.

"It's fine," I answered again and slid my hands up and down my arms.

"Lux is your mate, correct?" Nikolai began. It was a simple question but I felt my insides churn with apprehension.

"Yes. Technically," I mumbled and ran my fingers through my hair.

"But you and Cassius are marked," he stated like he wanted me to add more.

"Yes."

"May, I ask why?"

"Cassius and I met at the club, at the time, I only needed energy. So I had no idea. Then later I found out that Cassius felt the bond from me, but I wasn't feeling it from him. B-but, I loved Cassius so... so I let him mark me," I stumbled a little bit, but tried to keep a steady voice. Nikolai nodded and pressed his fist over his mouth.

"And how did Lux react when he discovered that you were marked?"

"Well, actually. Lux treated me nicely, and he was surprisingly considerate," I felt the lump in my throat swell. A part of me missed that old Lux, but I wanted Cassius so badly that it almost hurt. Maybe he wouldn't want to see me though. He must know that I had found Lux. What if he left me?

"The... entire time?"

I felt my heart drop into my stomach.

He knew. He knew. He knew.

How much?

"No," my voice cracked and I looked down at the comforter.

"When did it get worse?"

"About a month and a half after the party."

"Abrupt or subtle?"

"A-abrupt, I think," it was, he just changed like that. No explanation.

"Mood swings? Violence?"

"Yes," I gulped, not finding a way to give more than one word.

"Which one?"

"Both."

"You don't have to answer this if you don't want to."

I nodded.

A beat.

"Did he ever force you to do anything?"

My heart pounded so hard I could barely hear my own voice.

"Yes."

You could have heard a pen drop. Nikolai swallowed and nodded solemnly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Thank you," he murmured and stood up, placing the chair back at the desk. I felt dirty and embarrassed and bad. "James I need to talk with you."

"What about Allie?" My friend stated defiantly and looked at me.

Nikolai winced and ran his fingers through his hair.