Chapter one: Mai Katō

Five years had already passed since Mai's birth and it was now winter. Actually Mai was to turn five years old very soon which worried her mother. 

First because Mai's birthdays were never that great and joyful as a birthday should be since it was just the two of them and second because she thought time passed by way too quickly. And the more time passed the more she was getting closer to becoming a shinobi. 

Tsunade knew that sooner or later Mai would become one, it was impossible for her not to be one. Tsunade's whole family were shinobis and Kunoichis, including herself. 

Though the lady secretly wanted her to stay a civil, ignore everything about the shinobi world and nijutsu just as if she were an average little girl. But at the same time, if Mai were ever to be attacked by a shinobi or if a war broke out again she would not be able to defend herself and that meant a certain death for her. So in fact she had no choice. Tsunade as well as Mai. 

Tsunade sighed. As Mai was to turn five years old she would be old enought to enrol in the Academy. And that meant going back to Konoha. She did not feel ready yet. She always feared the worse might happen if she went back to the village. She wanted to protect her daughter at all costs but she could not be always there for Mai. When Mai was on missions she would not be there. And what if Mai were to be badly injured and she arrived too late and could not save her in time ? Just like it happened with Dan. 

That's when Tsunade came to a realization. She needed to teach Mai medical ninjutsu so that she could manage on her own if things were to go really bad. 

And the sooner the better. 

She might as well begin to learn the basics from now on if she is to enrol in the Academy soon. That will definitely be a great advantage for her. 

Yet, Tsunade was still reluctant about the idea of her going back to Konoha.

 The Sannin was snapped out of her thoughts when a knock could be heard on her door which startled her.

Who could it possibly be ? I'm not familiar with anybody here. Maybe an enemy. No it can't be.

Tsunade stood abruptly and gave a side glance at the door, suspicion written all over her face. 

She made her way to the door slowly and carefully and opened it in the same manner, ready to punch the intruder if he tried to attack her. 

However, she stayed still, not moving an inch as she saw the familiar face in front of her, confusion replacing the previous suspicion on her face.

" Jiraiya ? " She almost whispered.

" Tsunade. It's been ages. " The said man said solemnly, however there was a note of sheer happiness in his manly voice which made Tsunade feel even more emotional. 

So many emotions could be read in these beautiful brown eyes. 

" Are you gonna let me in or should I leave right now ? " Jiraiya said with a playful tone.

" Yeah, of course come in. "

She let him close the door as she led him to the coffee table at the center of the living room. 

Tsunade sat down quietly as she slowly closed her eyes, inhaling deeply. 

As for Jiraiya, he stood tall in front of her, his arms crossed, waiting for her to speak. 

A long silence followed.

" I'm sorry. "

Jiraiya had a quizzical look on his face. He did not really understand what she was being sorry for.