Chapter Fifty-Three: Confession

The day after Mai was still thinking about everything that had happened yesterday evening. Naruto's behavior, and this kiss...

Everything had happened so fast... It seemed so surreal to Mai that she thought several times that it had been only a dream. But it hadn't been. 

What especially ticked over in Mai's mind was Naruto's behavior, more than the kiss itself. It was a side of him that she had never seen before. He had looked just like his sister. Well, except that his sister doesn't have a crush on anybody. 

She had expected the Uzumaki boy to act like he usually would, that is with his bubbly personality that is so endearing, even if sometimes it's embarrassing and annoying to her. She could remember the time when he had spied on her and Kakashi with his sister and the other time when she had officially met his teammates. He hadn't seemed to be in love with her at all. Unless he was a very good dark horse... Which he apparently was. 

But that didn't really make sense to Mai. He had been so excited to know if something was going on between her and Kakashi, so why? Was it really all because she had told him to act like an adult? Definitely so. 

Maybe if she went to visit him today, he would back to his usual old self, his cheerful personality, and that he would tell her that all of this hadn't been really serious, and that they could forget about it all. 

She could give it a try, she had nothing to lose after all. 

So she left her office, creating a shadow clone to replace her. 

On her way to the boy's home, Mai thought about how Naruto should have acted yesterday night. How he should have gotten all excited about her confessing to Kakashi and spying on them to watch her kiss the man. And how he would have probably told everybody about it. 

She could feel knots form in her stomach as she couldn't anticipate the boy's reaction. He was so unpredictable...

Once she reached the threshold of his apartment, she remained still before the door as if waiting for him to come open the door. 

Mai guessed he was probably still sleeping since he didn't have any mission or anything else to do today. 

She hesitated to knock on his door, but ended up doing it anyway. 

She expected no one to answer. But to her great surprised Naruto did open the door. He looked like he had had trouble sleeping. 

Mai gave him a sympathetic look. 

"Good morning Naruto. May I come in?" she asked him carefully, not wishing to upset him or anything. 

Naruto shrugged carelessly.

"If you wish," he just said before turning around to go back inside. 

Mai blinked several times as if to try to wake up. That wasn't a good start...

Mai entered the apartment and closed the door slowly before joining the blond boy. 

The only noise that could be heard was that of the click clack of her high heels. 

Naruto was sitting on his bed with his legs crossed, and with a thoughtful look on his face. Mai breathed in sharply, and thought about what she should say to him. 

"You know," she started as she sat on the edge of his bed, "I know I told you to be more mature, but I hope the old and cheerful Naruto hasn't gone forever. I'm already missing him," Mai told him gently, trying to hide her concern. 

Naruto said nothing and instead was looking away. 

"You know when I was about your age, I used to have a crush on a much older guy than me," Mai admitted.