Chapter Ninety-Seven: Freedom [edited ]

One year later

By that time, everything had been going smoothly in Konoha and in the rest of the Shinobi world. There had been no more conflict or dangerous issue to deal with since the end of the Fourth Great Shinobi War. Everything was now peaceful and people had been slowly trying to recover from the trauma of the last war.

 After spending six long months in jail, Sasuke had finally been set free and had decided to leave the village as a way to atone for his sins after reconciling with Mai. And Naruto had gotten his new artificial arm which Sasuke had refused to get as another way of atoning for his sins.

Both Orochimaru and Kabuto had been set free as well, but they didn't spend so much time in jail compared to Sasuke. 

As for Obito, after one long year of being jailed, he had eventually been set free as well, thus avoiding death sentence, which was possible mostly thanks to Naruto's intervention, and also Mai's, Kakashi's, and Gaara's. The other Kage had had no other choice than agreeing in the end, even though they wished Obito could have been executed. 

Mai, Obito and Kakashi were now standing before the village's gates. Just like Sasuke, Obito thought it would be best not only for him, but for everyone else if he left the village, feeling that he didn't belong here anymore. 

"Are you sure you want to leave too?" Mai inquired, distressed. "You have already spent most of your life away from the village and all lonely. Nothing will happen to you here, I promise."

Obito stared at her earnestly. During all his time when he was locked away, he had had more than enough time to take stock of his entire life, and all of the mistakes he had made. 

How couldn't he haven't seen that Mai had fallen in love with him as a child? 

"No, it's better if I leave, believe me. And no need to worry for me, Mai, I'll be fine on my own. I won't do any misdeed anymore."

"........."

But Mai still had a sad look plastered on her face. 

"Come on! You do belong her! You just can't run away! Now that you're finally back and free-"

"Thank you for everything you've done for me, but you won't make me change my mind, Mai." 

"......."

"I know I partly owe my freedom to you, but I don't think I'll be able to repay you one day...."

"You could repay me if you remained here with us!"

"....Sorry, Mai. But I can't do that. Please, just stop insisting."

"But why not?!"

"Mai... Please, calm down, it will be okay," Kakashi chimed in, putting one hand on her shoulder. "You can't force him to stay if he doesn't want to.... And neither can I... No one can..."

"......."

Mai was feeling totally helpless.

"...Fine... if that's what you want, then... I guess it's fine..."

Obito was still staring at her intently. 

"But you will still give us some news, won't you?" Mai asked him, still upset. 

"......"

He looked back and forth between Kakashi and Mai. 

"Mai, Kakashi, I just want you two to be happy."

"......"

"Please, if there's one last thing I can ask you, I just want you to leave me alone and live a happy life. Can you do that for me?"