Chapter Fourteen: Come Back

A figure could be seen approaching the big doors of Konoha, with steady but determined steps. Only the sound of the shoes clicking hard on the ground could be heard which made the guard notice it. The person didn't even stop before the guards so that they could check their identity. They didn't need to. The individual kept on walking but sped up the pace until they reached a deserted alley at the west of the village. They firmly leaned against the wall and let out a tired sigh, as if to shield themselves from something they didn't want to face. They remained there for a while before moving away to go the the memorial stone. They stayed before a particular stone, trying their best to hold in unshed tears that threatened to fall, shaking slightly. They remained frozen in their spot for a long while, their eyes filled with a variety of emotions overwhelming them, reflecting all the physical and mental pain they were feeling.

"So you've finally decided to come back."  A male voice spoke from behind, making the figure start a bit.

However, it didn't move or answer either, well except to say a single word.

"Jiraiya."

The voice was calm, emotions perfectly kept in check and controlled. Though the face betrayed that. 

"I know it's been a while but you shouldn't have come here in the first place." The white-haired man spoke. Hearing no answer whatsoever he proceeded.

"Your daughter is going to need you so you must stay strong for her."

Still no answer. 

Jiraiya sighed, knowing he should have expected that to happen.

"It's been six years now. And even if she never talked about it she has missed you very much, and has been waiting for you to return at any time deep down though she had begun to lose hope as time passed."

As he noticed she was shaking he approached to stand by her side, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"Tsunade. You eally need to relax and let go. You've had enough time to mourn properly. Now is the time to move on. With your daughter."

Tsunade's eyes were still staring at the stone, shimmering with sadness and anxiousness. It was as if they were glued to it. She couldn't take them off. 

"Come on. She'll be happy to see you." Jiraiya tried once again to make her react but in vain. Tsunade was completely paralyzed.

She was actually afraid. Afraid of seeing her daughter again after all that time during which she hadn't given any sign of life to her. She was afraid that Mai would reject her and blame her for having abandoned her and neglected her. She was sure she wouldn't be able to stand it. She was also afraid to see how much Mai had grown up by that time. After six long years.  

She had promised her daughter she would come back soon but she had failed to keep that promise. And now Mai certainly wouldn't trust her anymore. And she also must be mad at her for not having told her the truth about her father and her true identity. She had been such a pathetic mother. No, she hadn't been a mother at all in fact. How could Mai possibly need her? She had learned and managed to live on her own for six years and was surely much happier without her who hadn't been able to overcome her fiancé's death. What could possibly bring to her?

"Come on, it's getting late now." Jiraiya snapped her out of her endless questioning, motioning for her to move away. 

The woman let herself be guided without any protest or resistance on her part. 

Both walked in sheer silence, not paying any attention to what was happening around them. 

"Where does she live?" Tsunade finally spoke up after a while.