Chapter Sixty-Six: Visits

The following day, practically everyone went to see Mai and Kei at the hospital. It was a real procession all day long. 

The first ones to come were the members of Team Ten. Ino was the first to enter the room, followed by Shikamaru and Chōji. 

Mai was sitting up in the bed, holding Kei in her arms. Kakashi was there too, sitting next to Mai. He had spent the night by Mai's side, unwilling to leave her alone in that hospital room. 

The Chūnin trio stopped at a respectful distance and stared at the mother and baby in silence.

"Come closer, she's not going to bite you," Mai said to them playfully. 

And so they did. They all stared in wonder at the little bundle of joy sleeping in Mai's arms. 

"I can't believe she's already born..." Ino said in awe while the two males remained silent. 

Mai smiled at Ino. 

"Would you like to hold her?" she then asked her.

Ino seemed to be surprised by Mai's offer, but accepted nonetheless. 

"So, Ino meet Kei," Mai said as she handed the tiny girl for Ino to take her.

This was all done even more carefully than yesterday, since Kei was sleeping, and neither Ino or Mai wished to wake her up, nor the three other males for that matter. 

The blond teenage girl stared at Kei with soft eyes. She melted as she saw Kei was still sound asleep in her arms. 

"She is so adorable," she cooed. 

Shikamaru and Chōji were standing close to her, so they could stare at Kei more closely as well. Their eyes softened at the sight. 

"Congratulations," Shikamaru ended up saying as if proud of the two parents, "You've made a nice little tot."

"Yeah," Chōji said in agreement, "she looks so pretty."

"Thanks," Mai said giving a bright smile to the three of them. 

As she didn't really know what else to say (nothing new eh), she just kept contemplating her late friends's team with their daughter still smiling. 

Kakashi smiled at them as well, not saying anything either. He was still too overwhelmed by happiness (maybe a bit too much) to say anything at all for now. 

"Do you guys want to hold her too?" Mai asked both Shikamaru and Chōji after a while, a beautiful smile still on her face. 

Now both males were the ones to be seemingly surprised by Mai's question. 

They exchanged a look, unsure of what they should do. 

"Don't be afraid. You're going to survive," Mai said teasing them. 

Anyway, Ino seemed to be reluctant to let go of Kei. 

"Well, thanks Godaime-Sama. But we can wait until another time. We don't want to disturb her too much anyway, so I think we should get going," Shikamaru eventually replied, referring to the fact that the baby was still sleeping. 

"Already?" Mai questioned.  

"Don't worry. We'll come back soon to see you again. Come on guys, there are so many other people that are waiting to see her, so we should leave room for them," Shikamaru answered again. 

So Ino finally handed Kei back to her mother, still overly carefully not to wake her up. 

And when Team Ten finally left, it was Team Gai's turn to come in.