Chapter Twenty-Four: Kirigakure

Mai and Minato had arrived to Kirigakure no Sato the day after. 

A Shinobi was already waiting for them at the entrance of the village.

"Hokage-Dono, welcome to Kirigakure. Please, follow me."

Mai couldn't help but notice how their village looked different compared to Konoha. 

The two were led toward a room in a large building. It must be the equivalent of the Hokage mansion, Mai thought. However as Mai was ready to enter the room she was prevented from doing so.

"Sorry. I can't let you enter that room. It is only a talk between the Hokage and Mizukage-Sama."

"But-"

"No buts young lady. Sorry."

"Don't worry, everything is going to be fine. I'll see you again when we are finished." Minato reassured her.

Mai just nodded. 

"You can visit the village if you wish. I can find you a guide to take you around." The man told her after closing the door.

"No thanks, it will be alright. I won't get lost."

Mai departed shortly after. She took her time for her walk around the village. It was actually rather big, almost as huge as Konoha. 

Suddenly, she could hear her stomach gurgle. It seemed pretty normal since she hadn't eaten anything this morning. She hadn't felt hungry like most of the time. But now she definitely was. So she went to look for a Dango shop. They must have one here too, she thought.

After wandering for a while Mai finally found one. She remained sitting at the counter for quite a while, thinking about many things. She was still conflicted inside. 

She sighed. 

What could she do to become stronger? 

She would need help from someone. Someone powerful. That's when she had a revelation. 

He is the only one that can make be become stronger...

"A kunoichi from Konohagakure ka? Oh, I know, you must be here to protect the Hokage, right?"

Mai turned her head to face the person who had spoken. It was a girl. A girl who seemed to be the same age as her. 

"Hmm... What are you doing here then?" The girl asked her.

Mai examined her closely. 

She had long auburn hair with bright green eyes. And she wasn't wearing any shinobi outfit. Yet, she could tell that the girl was a kunoichi just like her. 

"Visiting." Mai simply answered. 

She had to remain careful. It's not as if she could trust this girl. 

"Visiting? On your own? Let me tell you one thing. If you want to visit the village you definitely need a guide. Otherwise if won't know what you are visiting. Well, at least you haven't got lost, have you?"

"No, I haven't. And I don't need anyone to guide me. I can find my way on my own. Plus, everything is similar to what we have in Konoha." Mai said flatly, with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

She just wanted to be left alone.

The girl stared at her with wary eyes, examining her closely as well.

"You don't trust me, do you?" The girl eventually asked Mai.

"Why should I?" 

"Maybe because we are about to have an alliance between our two countries. So that would be good if we could get along and trust each other. Otherwise it won't work."