Chapter Forty-One: Team Ten

Mai was on her way back towards the Hokage Tower when suddenly she bumped into Asuma. 

"Oh Mai!" he greeted her warmly. 

Mai smiled at him, "Hey." 

"So how is your settling back into the village going?" 

".... It's okay I guess...", she answered quite unsure of herself. "It could have been worse," she added thinking about the conversation she had earlier with Kakashi in his hospital room. 

Asuma laughed slightly. "Oh I see. Well, what about we go have some drink to try to make it better?" 

Mai seemed to hesitate for a moment.

"As former teammates I mean." He added in order to clear up any misunderstanding. 

"Yeah, of course, I mean; there was something I wanted to do; but I guess it can wait." 

"Good, it's on me then. Come on."

"Really? And why if I may ask?" 

"I don't know, maybe because you're finally back. And at least I know you won't ruin me like my students. Or should I say one my students." He replied somehow jokingly. 

"Is that so? I can't wait to see that." Mai answered teasingly. 

"But you will meet them, trust me. But first I'd like to have a small conversation alone with you." 

"For...?

"You'll see. Let's get going," Asuma told her confidently.

Mai didn't question him any further and followed him wherever he wanted to go. They ended up going to a dango shop, the one that used to be Mai's favorite one. They took a small table, not too far from the street and sat down in front of each other in silence. 

"So, what will it be for you? Let me guess... Dangos, I bet." Asuma stated.

"No thanks, I'll just have a cup of tea." 

"But dango is your favorite food, isn't it?"

"It used to be when I was a child. But I am not a child anymore." 

"Yes, that's true," he said smiling at her. 

He waited for someone to come to order. 

"Two cups of tea, please."

It wasn't long before the waitress came back with their drinks. 

"Thank you." They both said simultaneously.

"Doesn't this recall you memories?" Asuma asked Mai as if he were feeling nostalgic. 

"Yes, of course. But this is not the only place." 

Another small smile appeared on Asuma's face. 

"I imagine." 

Mai took a look at her surroundings. Nothing seemed to have changed here. Nor in the whole village. 

"So you seem to have something important to tell me, I believe." Mai reminded Asuma. 

"Yeah, well, I'm going to get straight to the point then. It's about Kakashi."

"Nani! Is there something wrong with him?" Mai asked worriedly 

"Well yes and no, should I say. I believe he's completely healed by now, hasn't he?" 

"Hai, he's back to his normal state." Mai confirmed.

"I'm happy you could save him. You must be relieved."