Chapter Seventy-Eight: Resolve

Kakashi couldn't even stand up after they were both gone. He was feeling so weak as if his heart had just been ripped out of his chest. He started tearing up in the silence of the night. after a  little while of weeping, he even began suffocating, and choked on his tears, as if his lungs were deprived of air. 

It took him a long while to calm down and stand up. He still couldn't believe what had just happened. As he was staring into space blankly, his eyes ended up landing on a cigarette on the ground. He took a few steps forward and crouched down to pick it up. 

"Asuma..." 

Of course, only Asuma among everyone he knew would smoke. He had never seen Mai smoke a single cigarette. But he could understand why she would now.

"I'm sorry... I've really screwed up..."

Afterward, he dropped it again before stubbing it out. 

This really wasn't making any sense to him. Why would have Mai chosen to follow this man? He must have done something to her... What could he have told her? Had he threatened her? 

Just thinking about him made Kakashi's blood boil. What if he actually planned on harming Mai? 

He couldn't let her become a traitor. She was the Hokage. Everyone needed her. And he needed her. Besides, she had herself told him earlier that he had declared war on them... So why would she have chosen to join the enemy? He didn't want to fight against her... And her mother... And cousin... He couldn't tell them that Mai had become a traitor... Especially not her mother.... He really feared the woman's reaction, all the more so since he couldn't even stop Mai from leaving. And he couldn't tell anyone either...

He was feeling so frustrated now, angry and hurt as well. But he had to do something now. 

He came back to their home quickly and raced toward the guest room. Karin wasn't in there. 

Where has she gone?

He then went to check in their bedroom and found her sitting on the ground near the bed. 

"You!" he said before approaching her quickly and grabbing her clothes to make her stand up. 

"Now you're gonna tell me everything you know about this Uchiha man and the Akatsuki!!" he exclaimed angrily while shaking her, turning Karin's blood to ice. 

She didn't understand what was happening and didn't dare open her mouth now.

"Answer!!!"

"....."

Karin was totally frozen. What could have gotten into the man. She thought Mai had demanded him not to touch her... Had something happened in the meantime? Obviously, yes. 

"Listen, I don't have the patience now, so you'd better tell me everything you know now, otherwise I swear I'll get you jailed, even if Mai disapproves of this," he said as he was a bit calmer now.

But Karin was still as terrified as she was a few seconds ago. 

That made even less sense now. The attitude of Mai toward the Uzumaki girl compared to her cold attitude when she decided to become a traitor....

He ended up sighing and released his grip on the girl. 

"Alright, if you won't tell me anything, I'll have you interrogated tomorrow morning, but you'd better not try to escape during the night. I'll be keeping a close eye on you," he warned her. 

"....."

Afterward, he left the room swiftly.

"Wait!" Karin said as he was in the door frame.