Chapter Twenty-Three: Yondaime Hokage

It was today that the ceremony for Minato's nomination as Hokage was going to take place. 

Mai was still in her room, staring at herself in the mirror. More precisely at her neck where the necklace that she had been given by her mother for her twelfth birthday had once been. 

She still hadn't told the truth to her mother and she felt ashamed. She did not wish to upset her. She knew how precious an object it was for her mother. It was a family heritage. She sighed. Maybe she should have given it to Minato instead. 

"Mai? Aren't you ready yet? We're going to be late." Tsunade stated as she opened the door without a noise. 

She didn't enter yet she noticed the way Mai was standing in front of her mirror, completely still, so much so, it almost scared her. 

"Mai? Is everything alright?" 

The girl did not answer immediately. She kept on staring at her own reflection before closing her eyes and taking a sharp breath. 

"Yes, don't you worry Kaa-San, I'm fine. I was just thinking." Mai said softly.

Tsunade sighed. "It is no time for thinking. Come on, hurry up." She said before leaving swiftly. 

Mai did as told. After all, she didn't want to be late either. Especially not for that special occasion. 

The girl had been living with her mother ever since after she had been kidnapped by that guy. He was actually a shinobi from Iwagakure who had managed to infiltrate the hidden leaf village. And apparently, he had been ordered to kidnap Mai because of her relation with the Shodai Hokage and the possibility that she could master Mokuton. 

Mai still did not understand how he could have known in the first place. Not many people knew about that, except the Hokage, her mother, Jiraiya, Kushina and Minato, that Danzo guy and Orochimaru... Not even her team and friends knew about that, nor Shizune. Unless... There was a traitor among them... Could it be...

"MAI!!"

Mai jumped slightly as she heard the voice. She frowned.

"I'm coming Kaa-san!" She shouted through the closed door as she hurried up out of her room.

**

"Kaa-San." Mai spoke up as mother and daughter were walking in silence toward the Hokage tower.

"What is it Mai?"

"You know about the necklace... That of your grandfather..."

"Yeah, and so what?"

"... I-I never lost it on a mission." Mai said as she stopped walking.

"What? What are you trying to say?"

Mai inhaled deeply before telling the truth plainly.

"I had given to Obito because he wanted to become Hokage."

Tsunade gave her daughter a weird look. Mai couldn't decipher it though.

"Come on, let's speed up our pace, we'll talk about that later." Tsunade said firmly as she resumed walking.

Mai watched her mother walk away helplessly. 

You really suck my poor girl.

"Kaa-san! Wait!" Mai shouted before running to catch up with her mother. "I'm sorry!"

Her mother stopped walking. 

Mai stopped running as soon as she was near her (but not too near).