Chapter Seventy-Four: The Kage Summit (Part Two)

Mai put her hand around C's wrist to make him stop healing her, which he did swiftly. Afterward, she used the strength she had left to activate her Byakugō seal so she would get healed instantly. Once she was done with that, she looked up and her eyes landed on the blond boy. She then stood back on her feet.

"Thank you. But you didn't have to," Mai said to him.

"It's- It's okay," C simply replied as if he were somehow intimidated by her.

"Why would shinobi from Kumo hurry to help the Hokage anyway?"

"Because we both know that you were the one who saved Karai some time ago. You did it willingly and you didn't have to either," Darui answered plainly.

"Karai?"

Mai then dived into her memories and she soon remembered what he was referring to.

It had all happened when her mother, Shizune and herself had been still away from the village. The Raikage had come to find her mother and asked her (or rather demand) to heal one of his men that had some exploding insect stuck in his chest. But her mother had refused. And the Raikage had insisted, getting angry. Still, her mother wouldn't yield. She then remembered the conversation she had had with her mother while the Raikage was still waiting next door, growing impatient.

"But why won't you do it, Kaa-San? As medics, if someone needs our help, we can't ignore them and let them die!"

"But it's not just anyone, Mai. It's someone from Kumo, a village with which we are not in good terms at all, or if you prefer enemies. So do you really think I am going to heal the enemy, Mai?"

"But, the war stopped a long time ago, and-"

"But that doesn't mean that we are friends or allies. Another war could still break out at any time, you should never forget that, Mai."

"But they are human beings too... Would you really let a human being die...?"

"Plenty of human beings died before him. So one more or one less won't make any difference. And those 'human beings' as you put it are responsible for plenty of deaths, like that of your uncle and father."

"......"

Afterward, her mother and the Raikage had done some arm wrestling and the Raikage had lost. And then as the Raikage had been about to go away, Mai had caught up with him and told him that she would heal Karai, regardless of her mother's opinion about that. And at first, the Raikage seemed to be reluctant. He had preferred to have Tsunade heal him rather than her daughter because of her great reputation as a medic. Mai had been quite a young woman at that time and still was now and he had thought her to be too inexperienced to do such a complex healing. But Mai had managed to talk him into accepting. And she had showed him that she was really capable. Amai and Shizune had assisted her while she had been healing Karai.

"Oh yes, I remember. But I almost strangled one of your comrades not that long ago, so I should be the one to owe you something, and not the other way round."

"......."

"Never mind. Now isn't really the right time to explain or tell anything."

The two men just kept staring at her in silence as if waiting for her to do something.

"Sorry Naruto. I know you don't want anyone to harm Sasuke, but right now I have no other than fighting him."

And pretty quickly she came to stand next to the Raikage who was about to attack again. She put her non bandaged hand on his forearm to catch his attention.