Chapter Forty-Four: Ceremony

A few days had passed since Mai's encounter with team 7 and today was the day when she was going to officially become Hokage. She had met the Fire Daimyo as planned and was now getting ready for the ceremony which was to take place in a few moments.

"So, how are you feeling?" Tsunade asked her as the female Sannin was leaning on the wall just next to the door which had been left open.

"Okay I guess."

Yet Tsunade seemed to notice that something was off with her daughter.

"But..."

Mai went to stand by the window to look through it. But she soon stared into space as if looking through the window was only a way to distract her, more than being really interested by what was actually happening outside.

"I am finally going to fulfill Dad's and Uncle's Dream so I should be happy. I'm afraid to make a wrong move though."

Tsunade straightened up but didn't move from her spot.

"It's totally normal to feel the way you do. But now there is no going backwards. Anyway, we'll be here to help you with Shizune, and there is Jiraiya too. It's not as if you were all alone."

"I know Kaa-San." Mai replied calmly.

She kept staring out of the window, looking quite thoughtful. She tried to imagine how things would have happened had her father and uncle been there. She then did the same thing, but with Obito and Rin this time.  Would have Obito felt the same way if he had been in her shoes right now?

After a little while Jiraiya entered the room. 

"So, how is my little princess feeling?"

Mai immediately turned her attention to him. She hadn't seen him in several days.

"Not at the best of her shape as you can see. She saw better times if I dare say." Tsunade replied for her and with a slight hint of irritation into her voice.

The man did not react, fearing he would irritate Tsunade even more. This was a very special day after all. And it shouldn't be ruined. 

Mai approached Jiraiya and hugged him tightly. The male Sannin hugged her back and stroked her back in a soothing manner. 

"Why do you look so sad?" He asked her after pulling back.

Mai looked down for a bit.

"I am not, I am just thoughtful." 

"Is that so?" 

Mai nodded. 

"Come on. Rejoice yourself. Today is a grand day."

"Yes, I know. But it is an extremely important commitment as well." Mai replied gravely. 

Jiraiya kept staring at her intently. He knew everything that was flowing through her mind, making her doubt. He knew her all too well. 

"Come on, I already told you this didn't look good on you, didn't I?"

"You did."

How could she ever forget that moment?

Jiraiya gave her a confident look. "Your father and uncle would be very proud of you. Minato and Kushina too, as well as Obito and Rin."

"I'm not sure Obito would look very happy if he saw me steal his position and dream from him," Mai answered, attempting to joke.

"Hahaha, he probably wouldn't indeed." 

both of them exchanged a soft look, Mai smiling shyly but genuinely.