Chapter Seventy: Back From the Dead

"Mai! Mai!"

Said woman could only hear her name being called as everything surrounding her was black now. She couldn't recognize the voice, and if truth be told it rather sounded like a remote echo.

"Mai!"

She struggled to open her eyes, but still did in the end. She could feel a hard surface underneath her. And she could see the blue sky once her eyes were opened. 

"Mai..."

This time she froze as she did recognize the voice, still lying on the ground. 

She sat up swiftly to see once again someone she hadn't expected to see. 

"Sensei...?"

Said man smiled at her softly. 

"Thank God, you're both alive."

"What.... What happened?" she asked, being dazed. 

"Well... I'm not sure to be honest. I thought you and Kakashi were dead, and then there was this shiny light..."

So her father had been right... Of course, he had. Why was she even thingking that? She had always thought he could never be wrong. 

So she hadn't dreamt this encounter... It had happened for real... And so if she was here again this meant...

"Kakashi!"

Mai stood up swiftly to rush toward Kakashi, who was actually not that far from where she had been lying dead. 

The silver haired shinobi was now awake too and hardly had he managed to stand up that Mai just literally pounced on him to hug him without warning. He didn't even have time to notice it was her. They almost fell both back on the ground if it hadn't been for Kakashi who managed to keep his balance. 

"Mai..." he uttered with wide eyes, only seeming to realize now what had just happened.

Her strong grip on him tightened even more as tears formed again in her eyes. 

"I... I thought I had lost you..." she stated with a shaky voice. 

Kakashi replied nothing as he was still in shock and trying to figure out how he could have come back here. 

"Don't you dare do this to me ever again....." she whispered as a tear from her right eye started rolling down her cheek. 

He couldn't be dreaming this... It was too real... So he was back for real. 

His eyes suddenly began getting wet as he hugged back Mai, glad he could feel her warmth. 

"I'm sorry..." he simply whispered.

Shikaku just watched them smiling.

"Why did you leave me?!" Mai suddenly snapped tears still in her eyes after she broke their hug all of a sudden. "Can you only imagine how I felt when you died?!"

"......"

Kakashi only gave her a serious look in return. 

"I'd rather die than imagining my life without you," was his reply. 

Mai couldn't believe that what's he had come up with as an answer. 

Didn't it cross his mind that she was feeling the exact same way? 

Hadn't Nagato killed her and hadn't he been revived, she would have certainly killed herself after Naruto defeated Jiraiya's former student. She didn't know how her mother could live without her father or how Kurenai did too without Asuma, but she couldn't have done so. She had lost too many important people in her life already...