Chapter Forty-Two: Spar

The three Jōnin and the three Genin were now in a fighting stance, waiting for the spar to begin. 

"Okay, is everyone ready?" Shikaku asked them as he was standing right in the middle. 

Everybody nodded before making the appropriate hand sigūs. 

"Let's make a start then. Go."

"We have to find a good strategy before doing anything." Shikamaru whispered to his teammates. 

"And how? We don't even know what the Hyūga guy and the Hokage-Sama are capable of." Ino pointed out. 

"Shall we start with the Ino-Shika-Chō formation to see how they react?" Chōji asked them.

"I guess we have no other choice. If we want to analyse their techniques and fighting style we have to make the first move. So get ready." Shikamaru said.

The three did so as the three Jōnin observed them in silence. Asuma smirked, anticipating what they were about to do. 

"Okay, now!" Shikamaru said out loud. 

Baika no Jutsu, Konoha-Ryū Taijutsu: Nikudan Sensha

Chōji charged into them as if  he was a bowling ball trying to do a strike. The Jōnin jumped into the air to dodge the attack. 

"Ino, you deal with the Hokage. She's probably the most dangerous one. I'll take care of Asuma Sensei while Chōji will distract all of them, understood?" Shikamaru said.

"Got it!"

"Well, I guess it's time for us to show them our own formation;" Asuma stated confidently. 

Tokuma and Mai gave him a weird look. 

"What formation are you talking about?" Mai questioned. 

"Well, it's very simple. Tokuma will anticipate their movements with his Byakugan and warn us while Mai and I will use our taijutsu to stop them. Otherwise Mai could use her Mokuton to immobilize all of them but it would be way too easy and then it wouldn't be a real spar. They need to try to surpass their own limits. That can only be good for them." Asuma explained.

Mai nodded in agreement. 

"Alright. Let's waste no time then. They have already begun to attack." 

Tokuma activated his Byakugan. 

"Be careful Mai, Ino is about to perform her mind body switch technique on you." 

Mai nodded again. "Don't worry."

And at this precise moment Chōji charged into them once again. 

"Scattering!"

"Mai! Go! You deal with Ino and I'll deal with Chōji and Asuma" Asuma shouted. 

"Alright!"

Mai sprang toward the young blond girl. She wouldn't leave her time to perform her technique onto her. 

Ino was somehow taken by surprise. Yet she was still prepared to perform her jutsu as she was doing the hand signs needed. But Mai was faster than her. She was ready to strike the blond girl but was prevented from doing so because of Chō who charged into her once again.

"Ino! Move!" Shikamaru warned her. 

The girl saw Chōji arriving at full speed and did as told. Mai saw him too just in time and could dodge his attack once again. 

The boy is tough, Mai thought somehow satisfied by this. He's both fast and powerful. And what an interesting way of converting his chakra.