Chapter Ninety-Two: Kaguya's Resurrection

They seemed to be waiting forever for the sun to rise, but when it finally happened, Mai felt a sort of apprehension.

Sasuke deactivated his Susanoo as soon as the moon disappeared.

Mai was carrying Akira who was still unconscious as they all landed on the ground.

"Finally." Naruto said.

"Looks like it didn't affect that black one."

"Sasuke! What do we do to release everyone from the genjutsu?!" Naruto inquired.

"Rinnegan genjutsu can be dealt with using Rinnegan, probably."

"Which means we need Sasuke's left eye."

"I won't let that happen," Black Zetsu suddenly said.

"Huh?"

"All that's left to do is to get rid of you guys...."

"Which, I, the saviour of the world, will do." Madara stated as he suddenly appeared in front of Obito and Black Zetsu.

"Madara!"

"That eye on his forehead!" Sakura said.

"Be careful," Sasuke warned them. "We're surrounded in all directions by four of his shadows."

"I know that!" Naruto retorted.

"I won't allow you to do anything further," Madara stated. "I just severed the Karmic Cycle of this world. I have freed humankind from their suffering pain and their futility."

"You bastard!" Mai shouted angrily. "My daughter is only a baby! You have freed her from nothing!"

"Well, thanks to me she will never know what pain and futility are, so you should be thanking me."

But this only made Mai angrier, and Naruto was just as angry as she was.

"But all this.... is just a lie!"

"Naruto, Mai, you're the ones who are interfering with everyone's happiness," Madara then said.

"But my daughter can't know happiness, you bastard!! She doesn't even know what it is yet!!" Mai interjected. "So fuck you with your ideals!! Fake happiness isn't true happiness!!!" she snapped.

Madara stared at her earnestly before looking back at Naruto.

"Just look at this world now. All fighting between between shinobi has ceased. And unlike you, your daughter will never know war and violence. I've transformed hell into heaven. I've finally corrected Hashirama's mistake."

"What do you mean by the first Hokage's 'mistake'?" Sakura inquired.

But this was too much for Mai.

"Just shut up!!! My forebear hasn't made any mistake!" Mai spat.

"You are just as naive as he is. You Hidden Leaf may not want to acknowledge it, but Hashirama ultimately failed in reforming the Shinobi World. In the beginning, both Hashirama and I had the same goals. And we worked together. We tried to change the shinobi world that sent out barely grown children out to war. Many of them died in meaningless wars, including your great-granduncles."

"Huh? Who...." Mai trailed off, taken aback.

"Yes, that's right. Hashirama had two other younger brothers beside Tobirama. And he lost them both."

".........."

Mai had never heard about them before.

"The two of us created the shinobi village. However, that does not result in true peace. My opinions were pushed aside, and the Shinobi World moved forward in accordance with Hashirama's vision. And what happened because of it? The fighting between shinobi hasn't stopped. Rather than ceasing, establishing ninja villages led to an increase in their military build-up, which resulted in battles that turned into great wars... with countless lives lost. The battling in what became the First Great Ninja War... The Second Great Ninja War... The Third Great Ninja War... The fighting never stopped. That is Hashirama's legacy to the Shinobi World. So, your legacy as well," he said the last part while staring at Mai.