Chapter Sixteen: The Chuunin Exams

A/N: I've got something really important to ask you guys so please read the A/N at the bottom. Thanks!

The day had finally arrived. All of the genin were waiting in the hall for the written tests to start. Mai was waiting on her own in a corner, her muscles still aching because of the pain her mother had inflicted her. 

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Shizune said as she hurried to her cousin's side. 

"Rin told me about what happened two days ago." She added worried. 

Mai hadn't seen her arrive as she had been lost in her thoughts once again. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just aching a bit." 

Shizune gave her a sympathetic look. 

"I'm sure she regrets doing that. She is so strong that she must have felt her strength." The black-haired girl tried to reassure and comfort her. 

"Maybe she did not. But I shouldn't have accepted to train with her in the first place. That was all a waste of time." 

Shizune said nothing and gave her a faint smile. She didn't wish to upset her cousin even more. 

"I think it's time to enter the room." Shizune said after a small moment of silence. 

Mai nodded and they both headed to the room. 

***

Mai smirked lightly as she took a quick glance through the questions. Some questions were tricky. Of course, she had expected this to be difficult but no one could beat her in terms of knowledge. Let alone in terms of logic. She took the time to examine all of the questions carefully and answered them quickly and methodically, still checking each answer before proceeding to the next one. She finished before the scheduled time of course and reread her answers over and over again to make sure she had made no mistake. 

After a while as she was getting bored she looked around her to see most of the genin still writing. She then glanced briefly at the front to see the teacher wasn't even watching them. So she took this opportunity to turn around and look behind. As she scanned the room her eyes landed on Obito. The boy seemed to be struggling with the questions. She stared at him for awhile before she heard a small noise. She looked away to see where it came from. She discovered that Rin was actually the one who had made that noise in order to catch her attention. The brown-haired girl tried to whisper as low as possible but may couldn't get what she was trying to tell her. Rin tried once again but Mai couldn't read her lips. Rin then gave her a look as another attempt to make herself understood but to no avail. Mai wasn't really good at reading people's faces even though she was very clever. Now she didn't know what to do. Should she ignore her and wait for the test to be over without looking everywhere? That would be rude but at the same maybe that was what Rin was trying to tell her. That was the most logical thing she could think of. After all, she was in an exam room. So she nodded at Rin before turning around and sitting straight in her seat, staring at her sheets blankly. 

Once the test was over she waited for Rin to exit. 

"Hey!" 

Mai smiled at her friend. 

"So how did it go?" Rin asked her earnestly. 

"It was alright. Some questions were hard but not impossible to answer. 

"Really? You mean you managed to answer all of them?" Rin asked surprised. 

"Y-yeah. I mean it took time but yes." Mai replied somewhat sheepishly. 

She didn't want to appear as a big-head.

"Really? Is that why you were staring at Obito for a while?" Rin asked teasingly.