Chapter Thirty-Three: Talk

The next morning Mai was up outside to watch the sun rise. She hadn't been able to sleep at all that night as she was still very much upset and thoughtful about yesterday's events. She was relishing in the silence that surrounded her. She wanted to stop thinking completely for a while to take time to fully appreciate the beauty of the moment.But she couldn't, to her great disappointment. She let out a quiet sigh. Why everything always had to be so complicated? 

She wished she could have led a simple and peaceful life, without problems or pain. However, she knew she couldn't run way from her past. Nor ignore her responsibilities. She was now thinking about the village. She had truly missed it for these twelve last years. She really hoped her friends and everyone else were okay. She thought about coming back there right away without letting anyone know but she knew she had to wait. Only one week. Which would let Naruto time to master Rasengan. She hoped he would succeed. As for her, it had taken her much more than a mere week to fully master it. And it had taken his father three whole years. 

She wondered whether Akira had begun to learn it too before she had her arm broken by that rogue ninja. But why Jiraiya would have taught Naruto and not her? 

Well, speaking of the devil...

"What are you doing here so early?" Mai questioned in a solemn tone.

"I could ask you the same question." The girl immediately replied as she was now standing behind Mai, a few meters away from her more precisely. 

"I told you to rest. Remember?" 

"I've rested enough for the night. Plus, I am not making an effort of any kind. The only one I've made is standing up and walking and it's not like it's going to affect my arm in any way."

"..."

Mai answered nothing. She preferred to stay silent. And to stay alone. But she didn't even have the strength to shoo the girl away. Some part of her prevented her from doing so. 

So she just remained sitting there contemplating the view before her eyes in the chilly air of the morning. 

The silence surrounding them lasted for a few minutes before Akira finally decided to break it. 

"Thank you." She said in a low tone. 

Mai immediately understood what she was referring to. 

"It's okay. I only did what I had to do." 

Akira remained silent as she was standing still, seemingly preoccupied. 

"Come sit. You are not going to remain up like a statue for hours, are you?"

Akira seemed to hesitate but came to sit beside Mai nonetheless. 

Silence fell again, leaving the two women to dwell on their negative thoughts. 

"I assume Jiraiya-Sama told you about how I broke my arm." Akira said after a while, with some kind of bitterness in her voice. 

"Yes, I know what happened. Not in details but he summed up the situation."

"..."

"I know this is none of my business but I just need to know. What did that Orochimaru guy wanted from you? Do you know him well?" 

Mai turned her head and stared at Akira with an emotionless face. 

"Why are you so much interested in him? If I were you, I would be more worried about those guys from Akatsuki that are after you and your brother." Mai said frankly.

"Because he killed the Sandaime-Sama for Kami's sake!!!" Akira said becoming angry. 

"Yes, thank you. I know that."