Chapter Nine: Teams

Mai was waiting for Rin and Obito as usual since she had arrived very early at the Academy once again. She hadn't been able to sleep last night as she was barely able to contain her enthusiasm. It was also due to the fact that she hadn't wanted to miss Jiraiya leaving, so as to bid him a last farewell. 

It had been peaceful and full of love as you could have expected, not like one of those bitter-sweet, or regretful goodbyes as it had been for Tsunade when she had to leave her daughter. No, that time it had been different. At least Mai was sure Jiraiya would come back one day, even if it wouldn't be so soon. 

The man had actually told Mai he wasn't leaving for a mission but for a "long spiritual quest" as he had put it hence his planning to travel throughout various places all over the different countries and lands. 

To be honest, Mai found it was not so bad of an idea. It looked really thrilling and interesting and she would have loved being by his side in his quest but obviously, she couldn't since she had hardly graduated from the Academy. She had still a very long path to go as the Hokage had pointed out. 

But she was sure she would have the chance one day to do the same with or without him, well preferably with him, or with someone else, who knows. And she wouldn't blow it up. 

He had also told her that he had waited that moment because now she could easily manage on her own and that she didn't need him anymore since he had taught, showed and told her about most of the things she needed to know. Mai had already become so strong that according to him, it wouldn't be long before she surpassed her mother. 

After waiting for several hours on her own, her mind left to wander, Rin and Obito showed up, as well as some others. 

For once, Mai waved at them first, before Rin did. She had a faint smile on her lips but was actually very happy to see them.

" Hey! You are still here so early? I wonder how you can even get up at these hours! " Rin said playfully.

Obito remained silent as usual, although with his personality he should've rather been the one to say that instead of Rin. He always seemed to be so shy whenever he was near Mai, except on some occasions depending on the circumstances just like for their final test he wouldn't hesitate to speak up his mind and go back to his usual self. Mai didn't pay very much attention to it though. 

" Yeah I know, but I was so looking forward to this day that I couldn't sleep. "  Mai answered nonchalantly. 

" Oh, yes neither could I! I can no longer wait! I'm even more excited than yesterday! "

" Aren't you too Obito? " Rin added. 

".... Y-yes of course I am! What are you thinking? " 

Well, actually, he wasn't. He was rather anxious about the team he would be put in. He hoped it would be a good one and not with jerks. More precisely, he hoped he would be on the same team as Rin though he wouldn't tell her out loud, especially not when Mai was there. He had nothing against Mai but if he had to choose one female to be on his team it would be Rin. And the last thing he wanted was to hurt Mai (or make her angry in any way). It would be really rude on his part and fortunately, he had the intelligence to be aware of this though he couldn't explain why. 

Mai looked at him carefully. She could feel he was lying but she shrugged it off. He must have had his reasons to do so. 

" So, who would you like to have on your team? " Rin inquired eagerly, turning back her attention on Mai. 

Mai seemed somehow to be embarrassed at the question. Actually, she had never really thought about it and didn't really care. Whoever would be with her would be fine.