Chapter Twenty-Six: Pregnancy

Months had passed by now and Mai had become a Jōnin without any difficulty. She had been training and studying hard so of course she had succeeded.

She had also continued her training with Minato; she still didn't fully master Rasengan yet but that was just a matter of time before she did. Minato had also taught her the Flying Thunder God Technique which she had mastered by now. But he hadn't taught her Senjutsu.

Mai was still staying at Kushina's and Minato's since her mother hadn't come back yet. Sometimes, Mai really wondered what could take her so long. It's not as if she were on a mission. Or was she? Was it actually some kind of secret mission? But her mother wasn't an Anbu or that kind of Kunoichi. Who knows. But she was a legendary Sannin so that could explain some things... Yet Jiraiya and Orochimaru were staying in the village. They had never left for so long. Except Jiraiya. Maybe her mother had chosen to do just like Jiraiya. But why couldn't she have  taken her with her? Oh right, because Mai needed to train to become stronger.

Kushina had also been pregnant for several months now. But she wouldn't tell Mai whether it was a boy or a girl she was expecting. She had told the girl it was a surprise. And Minato wouldn't tell her either.

"Hello Mai." Jiraiya greeted her as he opened the door to her room. 

"Chichi!"

Mai was so happy to see him again. 

"How are you doing, darling?" 

"I'm good, thanks. What about you?"

"I'm fine." He said as he hugged her.

"So... What are you doing here all alone?"

"Oh, nothing special. I was just resting."

"Were you?"

Mai nodded.

"Oh, don't you want to come with us in the living room?"

"No, thanks. I think I need some sleep."

"Oh come on, it's too earlier to go to bed. Plus since I am here that would be a shame not to see you, come!"

Mai finally agreed to follow the man and they both made their way to the table where Minato was sitting, a book in his hand.

"Jiraiya-Sensei, your books are truly amazing." He said smiling as he put the book down on the table.

"Oh, please, they are not that great." Jiraiya replied somehow embarrassed.

"Naruto. That's how we're gonna name our child if it's a boy." Kushina chimed in as she went by Minato's side.

"And Akira if it's a girl." Minato added.

Jiraiya seemed to be utterly surprised. "You're not serious, are you? I chose the name Naruto at random while I was having some ramen."

"And what about the name Akira?" Mai asked him curiously.

At least he couldn't have chosen that name while eating ramen...

"I chose that one while I was writing under a tree. I couldn't find any suitable name. But then  falls began falling from the trees and that's when I found the name Akira. Because it had happened during the fall."

Mai was happy about the answer she was given, even impressed somehow. That sounded really poetic. Unlike the name Naruto...

That all made sense actually to her.

 Akira was the name for the heroine of one of Jiraiya's books, the one which he had offered Mai for her twelfth birthday. Which was very likely to be inspired by Mai herself. It was also the book in which the heroine became Hokage... But Minato had told her that he would like his daughter to be like her.