Chapter Eighteen: Obito's Death

Mai was devastated. 

No, in fact this is largely an understatement to say so. 

She was shattered, broken. Empty.

She felt she could no longer breathe when the news was broken to her. 

She couldn't think straight anymore. She couldn't think anymore at all. 

It was as if time had stopped and would never go on. 

Mai unconsciously wished she could have passed out, that it was a bad dream and that when she woke up Obito would still be here with them, alive. 

She hoped it was a bad joke. Or a mistake. But Rin wouldn't do such a thing as she was her best friend. 

She remained paralyzed. 

All the others around her were shocked as well but they saw that man was particularly shaken by the news. 

They all tried to 'cheer Mai up' and to make her come back into reality but it was useless.

She was already far gone. 

She could only hear their voices as if they were already far away from her.

They were like an echo. But they couldn't reach her. 

Her mother got her home. She walked but she let herself be guided. 

She had no more control over her body as if she was an inanimate doll. 

After that she remained lying in her bed, staring at her ceiling lifelessly. 

Of course, everybody left her alone, even Rin who understood she needed some time alone. 

The next day the funeral took place. 

But Mai still couldn't accept this was happening. 

It had to be a bad dream. She knew she was going to wake up any time soon.

She couldn't even feel her own body anymore. So that was a sign she told herself. 

The whole village was gathered for this event. 

But Mai ignored all of the people. Even her friends and family. 

She was there without being there. 

She was like some kind of ghost who was there by mistake, who shouldn't be there in the first place. 

She didn't belong here. She belonged somewhere else. 

Tears didn't stain her beautiful porcelain skin though. She was tearless.

Actually, she had never cried in her life. Well, perhaps one tear or two had slipped from her eyes because of her constant loneliness but that was all.

She wasn't an emotive person. Well rather she was someone who kept everything inside of her without showing it. This aggravated with time of course. 

Not that she was heartless, far from it. It was all the opposite actually.

She felt so many mixed emotions, some she couldn't always understand, so much so that it was hard for her to contain them all and even more to express them. 

She still didn't know what she was doing there though.

She was in total denial. 

She briefly cast a glance to both her sides. Shizune was on her left while her mother was on her right. 

She remained stoic as a stone. 

She stared blankly in space. 

The world around her didn't matter anymore. 

Life was such a waste of time. 

***

Hey, hello everyone :) 

I know this is a very short chapter but I wanted to try to make something different and that would have a real impact. 

But I'm not sure I was successful though.It was so hard for me to write about the funereal and the whole thing itself. It's so heartbreaking :(

So don't hesitate to let me know your thoughts about it.

Thank you for reading!