Chapter Twenty-Two: New Bond

A/N: I just wanted to tell you that I've decided to introduce Kakashi's POV in this chapter. Anyway, Enjoy!!

**

Kakashi was standing in front of Rin's grave stone as if waiting for someone to come.

He was indeed waiting for someone. He had been for quite a while by now. He began getting worried although he probably shouldn't. 

But it was strange. Mai would always come to visit Obito's and Rins tomb in the evening. And always at the same time. And she still wasn't here. 

But perhaps Mai had something more important to do. Or perhaps she simply couldn't today. 

Or... What if something had happened to her? 

No. That was a stupid thought. What could have possibly happened to her? 

She had no more missions for now. So she was safe within the village.

He didn't know what to do now. 

Should he go looking for her? 

But he didn't want to disturb her if she was busy.

He had been feeling so lonely since his friends' death. Yet, strangely Mai being there with him made him feel less lonely, as if they shared the exact same pain. Well, actually they did. They didn't even need words to understand each other. It was all new to him and so sudden. He didn't know how to feel about it. But deep down he just needed comfort. 

He let out a desperate sigh. 

***

Kakashi was walking through the streets of Konoha, his hands in his pockets and a bored look plastered on his face. He didn't even know where to go. He had no one waiting for him at home. And he didn't feel like staying with other people. Anywhere he would go he would still feel empty. 

However, a specific building suddenly caught his attention. He stopped in his tracks as he stared at it carefully. It was his sensei's apartment. He knew Mai had been living there for quite a while now. So she was surely there. He hesitated to go and check. But in the end he did. 

Gathering up his courage and energy he knocked on his sensei's door. The door opened not long after, revealing Kushina. 

"Oh, Kakashi, it's you!" 

"Good evening Kushina-San, I'm sorry to disturb you but I just wanted to know if Mai was here with you." He said overly politely. 

"Oh, what a shame, you could have seen her had you come just a bit earlier. She went to look for her mother not that long ago. But I'm sure you will find her!" Kushina said as she finished while smiling. 

"Oh, I see. Thank you very much." Kakashi said as he bowed his head slightly. 

He departed quickly after that. He didn't even know where Mai's mother was living. But maybe Shizune knew. He had learned she was Mai's cousin. So he went immediately at Shizune's but apparently she wasn't there. What a good start...

He searched the whole village for a while but neither Mai, nor Shizune were anywhere to be found. Nor Mai's mother for that matter. Now he began to have doubts. Something must have happened to them. At least Mai and Shizune. Should he talk about that to someone? Should he tell his Sensei? Or Jiraiya-Sama? Or go to see the Hokage?

Or perhaps he was just began getting worried for nothing. Perhaps Mai and Shizune went outside the village with Mai's mother to do something they had to do... And maybe they would be back soon. Who knows. 

He didn't wish to worry anyone without it being necessary. 

Maybe he should just drop it and stay alone as he was used to. That's all he deserved anyway. For being mean to everyone.