Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Promise

Mai was at the hospital. She was staring at Akira and Naruto behind the glass wall.

Anyway, very soon, someone made their way toward her. Mai didn't pay attention to whom it was at first. But she could feel a familiar chakra. A chakra she had discovered some time before...

She couldn't take her eyes off the babies. She felt responsible for their plight. They were now orphans. Who was going to raise them? Would they go to an orphanage? Konoha's orphanage was already quite full with all the casualties of the war... And that was going to be even worse with the attack of last night...

But this was supposed to be all over... The horrors of the war and everything else...

Yet, there only seemed to be even more suffering and pain as time passed by...

"Poor Kushina..." Mai could hear a woman's voice whisper sadly.

The girl turned her head to see what she looked like. She had long black raven hair and black onyx eyes just like Itachi.

She must be his mother.

Mai then indeed noticed Itachi who glanced at her briefly before looking away. Mai's gaze then landed on the baby boy the woman was carrying. 

He seemed to be hardly older than Naruto and Akira, maybe by a few months only...

And that must be Itachi's little brother...

The woman stared at Mai as if examining her.

"Oh, you are Tsunade's and Dan's daughter, aren't you?"

Mai seemed to be surprised by her question but she nodded nonetheless. Or rather by the way she had phrased it.

"Oh, yes, I know, you had been living with Kushina and her husband for quite some time I believe, they considered you as their foster daughter." The woman said with a very soft voice. "... Mai, is it?"

"Hai." The girl answered shyly. 

The woman gave her a small but soft smile.

"I am Mikoto Uchiha, I was Kushina's friend, but I don't know if she told you anything about me."

"Not really..." Mai answered.

"That's alright." Mikoto said, still with a very soft voice.

Mai looked down with sad eyes, memories coming back to her mind to make her feel even more guilty.

"Oh, I'm so sorry for you. That must be so hard for you to have lost them." Mikoto said emphatically before putting one hand on Mai's shoulder. "If you need anything, just come and ask me." 

Mai looked up again to stare at the woman's black eyes. 

"Thank you. But I should be okay." 

Mikot could see the intense pain in Mai's eyes.

"You never know." 

There was no reaction on the part of Mai.

"Come on, you shouldn't stay here. What about we go outside and have a walk?"

"That's really nice of you but I think I'm going to stay here a little bit longer." 

"... I don't think that's such a good idea. That will only bring you more pain. Come on, I'm sure you need some fresh air." The woman insisted. 

Mai ended up yielding and followed the little family outside. She didn't have the strength to argue or anything.

But as soon as they had exited the hospital Mikoto stopped walking. I guess you two don't know each other. She said as she looked back and forth between Itachi and Mai.