Chapter Eleven: Complications

" Hold on Mai, we're almost there. " Asuma reassured, still extremely worried though. 

" SENSEI!!! Help!!! Mai has been wounded!!! " Asuma shouted as he and Tokuma were carrying Mai as best they could so she didn't have to walk.

" What happened? " Shikaku asked, hurrying to their side. " Are you okay Mai? "

" Yes, I'm fine, it's nothing serious. "

" Are you kidding??? Have you seen how bad these cuts look? " Asuma exclaimed.

Shikaku observed them thoroughly.

" Did that cat make this to you? "

" Yes! We were ready to catch it but suddenly it began talking to us and then it ran like crazy and hurt Mai in the process! " Asuma summed up the situation hastily. 

" Talking to you? " Shikaku repeated quizzically. 

" Yes, she behaved like a real human being. It was really strange. " Tokuma confirmed. 

" She is actually a ninneko hence her being able to communicate with you. " The woman waded in, making her way towards them. 

" A ninneko? " Asuma questioned in disbelief. 

" A ninja cat... I didn't know that existed. " Mai commented. 

" Because they have their own underworld. However, some of them live here in the city with me so they can keep an eye on it, to keep away people coming with bad intentions in mind. "

" An underworld? " Asuma repeated. 

" Yes. More precisely, a fortress. Or a castle as you wish. They are not affiliated with any shinobi village and have their own system, just like the villages have theirs. " 

" So that's where she must have gone... " Mai figured out instantly. " That's what she meant when she said there. "

" Now that we know where she is, this can wait, she won't escape, anyway. We must tend to Mai's wounds first. " Shikaku said as he kneeled down to have a closer look at Mai's cuts. " Let me see. "

" Wait, I must have a first-aid kit somewhere in my shop. " 

" It won't be necessary, I can heal them myself. " Mai said as she began using her medical ninjutsu, the green chakra working smoothly over the first wound. 

" You're a medical-nin... " Asuma said as his eyes observed Mai's hands at work. 

" That's a good thing to know. "

Everyone was staring intently at Mai silently as she continued to heal herself vigorously and progressively. Mai hoped it wouldn't take too long. She didn't want to be a burden for her team and slow them down. After all, they did have a mission to accomplish and unlike what they thought it would be more difficult to catch that ninneko. It would be enough to stop the bleeding at least. As a matter of fact, the cuts weren't that deep but it still hurt. 

"  Are you sure you don't need any help? " Asuma asked. 

" No, it's okay. Plus, I don't really see how you could help me since you don't know medical ninjutsu. " Mai replied solemnly. 

" It's not because we don't know medical ninjutsu that we can't be useful you know. There are other ways to heal someone, and even if they are not as effective and rapid as your medical ninjutsu at least it will prevent your wounds from getting worse while you're working on one in particular. You need to spare your chakra and if you use all of it for your wounds that won't do it. " Asuma clarified.