Chapter Seventeen: Cursed gift

Mai and Obito had trained during months and months and in the end they had both become Chuunin. But Mai wasn't satisfied because Kakashi had become a Jounin soon after.

Of course, Tsunade was proud of her daughter but when Mai had made it clear that she wanted to become a jounin too, the Sannin had told her to take it easy and that it wouldn't be a catastrophe if she didn't become a jounin immediately.

Today was Mai's twelfth birthday and Tsunade had no idea about what she should give her daughter as a birthday present. She was definitely not good for this kind of stuff. But she feared she might give her something that Mai wouldn't like. So she thought it best to ask Jiraiya what Mai would like.

"So what do you think?"

Jiraiya closed his eyes as he considered Tsunade's question.

"Give her dango. That's what she loves more than anything on this planet."

"Can't you be serious just for two seconds!"

"Hmmm..."

"Well, it's hard to say. Except training there's nothing much that she likes. And she doesn't have a specific interest in material things. I guess your mere presence will be a kind of gift to her."

"Are you kidding me. I know she hates me."

The man observed Tsunade carefully.

"Don't say such things. She doesn't."

"Don't try to make me feel better. Just by the way she looks at me, the way she behaves every time I'm near her, I can tell she despises me."

"And I'm telling you she doesn't. She's just going through a phase. That's all. She's just as stubborn as you are. So, she acts as if she hated you but deep down I'm sure her love for you is still there. She just denies it and tries to suppress it."

Tsunade seemed to be skeptical about that. Yet, Jiraiya wouldn't dare lie to her. So she would try to cling to that hope from now onward.

Silence fell over the two as Jiraiya tried to think about something that Tsunade could give to Mai. He observed the female Sannin closely and suddenly his eyes landed on the necklace that Tsunade was wearing. His eyes narrowed as he stared at it for a few seconds. That could be a good idea as a gift. Probably the best they'll ever find.

"Why don't you give her the Shodai's necklace?" Jiraiya solemnly asked Tsunade.

The woman seemed to be utterly taken aback by Jiraiya's suggestion at first. But then she had a look of sheer horror written all over her face which turned into anger and frustration.

"Are you crazy?! Of course I'm not giving her this thing!!"

"And why not?" Jiraiya asked calmly and earnestly.

"What do you think?! Stop playing dumb!! You perfectly know why I won't give it to her!"

"Hmmm..."

"What's in the past has to stay in the past, you know."

Tsunade tried to contain her rage and frustration but it was a really huge effort for her.

"I just don't want her to die like Nawaki and Dan." She said in a dangerously low tone.

Yet, she felt as if she was on the verge of breaking down.

Jiraiya stared at her with disbelieving eyes.

"Tsunade. Don't tell me you believe they both died because they had been wearing this necklace. That doesn't make any sense."

Tsunade looked at him with wary eyes.