Chapter Forty-Seven: Truth

"I've summoned you here and now because there are things that need to be cleared up." Mai stated solemnly. 

She had indeed decided to meet with the Elders as she had planned earlier. 

"What are you talking about?" Koharu asked the Senju woman. 

"I'm talking about Naruto and Akira. And you'd better tell me the whole truth," she demanded. 

But the two Elders didn't react as if they had no clue about what Mai actually wanted to know. 

"What do you want to know about them? There's nothing to say." Koharu simply replied. 

But right now Mai wasn't in the mood to be patient. 

She hit the table with her fist, which started the Elders. 

"Don't you dare fool me, I am the Hokage now, so you can't just hide away such important stuff from me!!" Mai barked at them. 

The Elders almost sweatdropped internally. She really looked like her mother when she acted this way. 

"Naruto told me he hadn't grown up with his sister! So what happened exactly? Wasn't the Sandaime supposed to take care of both of them until they were grown up enough to manage to live on their own?"

Koharu and Homura gave each other a look. 

"...."

The Elder's lack of reactivity was bringing Mai on edge. She ended up snapping. 

"Tell me now or else I'll make you tell me!!!!" She spat as she grabbed them both by their collars. 

"Alright, alright! We're going to tell you everything but let us go!!!" Homura exclaimed all panicky. 

Never had they thought that Mai would dare threaten them. But now it's not as if they really had a choice...

Mai released her grip after giving them a last glare and waited for them to speak. 

"We didn't have the choice, we had to separate them." Homura began saying. 

"Yes, we couldn't afford to have both of them grow up in the village." Koharu continued. 

"And why not?" Mai retorted as she crossed her arms. 

"Because they both have the fox demon sealed inside them. Had they been only one of them things would have been easier. After the attack of that night people became afraid and feared only one thing, that the demon would wake up again and go on another rampage. So when they learned the Yondaime had sealed this monster inside both twins, the situation became really difficult to handle. We tried to keep it a secret but somehow this began spreading around the village as time passed. So at the beginning they were together, but eventually, while they were still too young to remember we chose to send the girl away at Konoha's orphanage. Both of them having the demon inside of them meant twice as much massacre. It was much too risky. And we couldn't take this risk. But soon, everyone at the orphanage became afraid of her and they didn't want to keep her, so we had to put a lot of pressure on them so that they would accept to keep her. Of course, we couldn't send the girl away from the village or the boy for that matter; the beast has been ours ever since the era of the Shodai-Sama and even if it is dangerous it represents a tremendous power for our village."

But why had they chosen to send Akira at the orphanage? Why not Naruto? 

Oh yeah right, what a fool. Because Akira had the darkest part of the demon sealed inside her of course. Poor girl. 

Mai frowned. She could feel her blood boil. 

"That's ridiculous! Both twins could have grown up together!! The Sandaime was there to watch over them, so the beast coudln't have gone on another rampage!! Don't you think they were already bullied enough because they are Jinchūrikis?! Did you really need to make them feel lonely on top of that?!!! For Kami's sake, they are brothers and sisters!! How could you separate them??!!! They were the only family they ever had after their parents death!!! You really have to be an awful person to do such a thing!!!!!" Mai spat angrily.