[ family reunion pt. 1 ]

you know it had to be done. the cliche family reunion fic. hecka cheesy and unoriginal.

edit: if you didn't already know, i wrote an entire separate book about this! it's called "fake" and it's a completed story. go check it out if you wanna!

words: 1633

. . .

I didn't know exactly when I mentioned it to him, or what details he was in on: whether or not he was aware that my dad told me I'd end up being a true crazy cat lady; if he knew my extended family was genuinely getting concerned that I hadn't dated anyone at eighteen; if I told him the main cause of my trust issues was because my great-aunt said I'd never find a partner unless it was a stupid one.

But I noticed right away when he suggested he go with me to meet them.

"You... what?"

He shrugged. "I'm a master of pulling pranks and saving damsels, Katie-Kat. You're complaining to me for a reason, you obviously want me to save you from this situation."

Not true. Okay, maybe a little true. "And just how do you plan on helping by showing up at an uptight family reunion?"

"Easy. I pretend to be your boyfriend." Travis explained his concept plainly, like it wasn't absurd. "It'll get your family off your back, and it'll improve my already-impeccable acting skills."

I actually considered the idea for a split second before waking up to reality. "Why would you do this for me?"

"We're friends."

"Since when have we been friends?"

He threw an arm over me dramatically. "Since we met, we're meant to be together!" 

I shouldered him off, crossing my arms. "Your stupid plan wouldn't work. Nobody would believe I finally..." I trailed off, biting my lip self-consciously. One thing Katie Gardner didn't do was look pitiful in front of her nemesis. So I rephrased it. "Nobody would believe that I started dating someone like you."

"We both know we hate each other, right? So what's the harm in acting like we don't for a few hours?" Travis reasoned, grinning devilishly. 

I grimaced. Honestly, it wasn't a bad idea. Who was I kidding? It would be amazing to have a reunion without the crippling anxiety. My family would totally believe I was dating someone like Travis. "Fine. But don't steal anything or prank anyone. My family's a real funeral and they don't take jokes lightly."

So we drove up to New Hampshire for the Gardner family reunion, all the while bickering about the little things: how we "met", when he "asked me out", and what our intentions were with our "relationship". We had to be factually correct on both ends or it wouldn't fly. 

Though I pushed the emotion out of my mind, I was grateful for Travis offering to do this. I knew there had to be something in it for him that I wasn't aware of, but for now I was relieved that I'd get a year of peace from the family saying I'd be forever alone. I was spiteful, and I couldn't wait to rub it in Great-Aunt Mary's face that I had a "boyfriend".

The second we got out of her car, Gardners crowded around the new guest. They bombarded him with questions until they got the answer they wanted.

"I'm Katie's boyfriend," he introduced casually, and for once I was glad he was the son of the god of lies and eloquence. 

The family took on a reaction I hadn't expected: they loved him. Travis was the life of the party, he was in the limelight the entire time. Dad vaguely remembered me talking about Travis but didn't recall if it was for the good or bad of him, thankfully. My cousins made obnoxious kissy faces, and Travis gladly accepted that as an invitation to hold my hand (which totally didn't give me butterflies, shut up). My grandparents found him adorable, and said he looked like a perfect match for me (I may or may not have had to hold back a gag).