[ short ]

peppermint-sugar requested this after they commented a wOndErfUL layout prompt! hope you like it :D

this title has a double meaning, because it is a very short one shot but it's also the theme of the shot. wow, so poetic, mckenna. 

words: 566 

. . .

"Travis Stoll!" Katie's voice could be heard throughout the circle of cabins in the early morning, just like every day. "Come here right now!" 

Campers migrated from their cabins to the pathway outside the Demeter cabin, awaiting the regular show. Even the oldest campers found their antics amusing, and the newer campers eagerly watched the pair.  Nobody grew tired of them interacting, even if they were sick of how the two neglected their blatant feelings for each other. 

Finally, after many more callings out from Katie, the son of Hermes strolled out of his cabin to come face-to-face with her. His smirk was presented tauntingly inches from her nose, just because he could have it there. He tilted his head as he leaned over and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, Katie-kat?"

She glared up at him, hands in fists at her sides. Everyone hushed their assuming whispers, ready to her what it was that the Stoll had done to her this time. 

"What have you done?" Her words sounded strained through her gritted teeth, but everyone knew what she said. 

"Whatever do you mean, Katie dearest?"

She squinted. "You know what. You've pranked me every morning for the past seven years, why isn't there one today?"

The campers glanced at each other with unsure confusion. No prank today? Quiet utterances rippled through the onlookers, and they grew louder as Connor stepped out of the cabin with a look just as lost as the rest of them. The younger Stoll appeared to want to pipe up, but he only slunk into the crowd and watched like the rest of them. 

Meanwhile, the two demigods running the spectacle had a staredown. Travis' eyes shone with glee, Katie's projected lasers of death. 

"What. Is. The. Prank?"

Now, what happened next kept the entire camp in shock for days. Not a soul expected Travis to stoop down and take Katie's face in his hands and...

And he kissed her. 

There wasn't an atom moving in the atmosphere as Katie froze up like an icicle had pierced her. Some of the campers gaped at them, while others looked away awkwardly. The Aphrodite kids smirked knowingly, while some of the new campers made disgusted faces. 

Connor looked like he'd pass out.

Even when they parted, nobody dared to suck in a breath. Travis still stood with his back arched and his hands cupping her cheeks. Katie blinked, unmoving from shock. 

Nobody else moved, either. 

Suddenly, Travis straightened his posture and grinned. Breaking the silence, he laughed. "I love that I had to bend down to do that."

The next thing Travis knew, Katie's fist connected with his jaw and he reared back, loosing his footing and thumping onto the ground with a heavy thud. 

The triumphant smile on Katie's face made the demigods around them burst into exclamations and surprised uproar, but she just grinned all the bigger. "And I love that I had to reach up to do that." 

If the halfbloods around them thought they could be in any more of a state of disarray, they were wrong. The entertainment of the day had shifted from a normal redo of every morning to a new and exciting twist, and nobody knew how to process it.

Especially the two who'd thought they were enemies.

But what went on for the camp's following morning Travis and Katie shows wasn't something that enemies did.