[ mortals meet au ]

this shot is for @Aretmis and@lillianiskindakool who both requested a "mortals meet" au! i wrote this from the mortal's pov, which was really fun.

i also placed it in florida, in the small town i used to take dance classes in because it was funny. shoutout to all my florida peeps, lol.

words: 1377

. . .

I opened the door of McDonald's to clock in for my afternoon shift. The smell of rubbery meats and greasy fries greeted me, and I shouldered off my bag in the back room before tying my apron on. I made my way to the register to punch in my employee ID, and I was set.

"Ready for sitting around for nothing?" Cassie hopped up to sit on the counter next to my register, swinging her legs.

I shrugged. It wasn't strange that the restaurant was empty, seeing as it was 2 in the afternoon and the lunch rush had dwindled. "Always a fun shift."

Even though our manager was in the back room, we knew we wouldn't get in trouble for just hanging out and talking. After all, who would come into a McDonald's in Williston besides our regulars? They were used to our chilling.

"...brought a Whoopie cushion and you didn't even remember your wallet?" An unfamiliar voice grew louder as a girl entered the tabled area before me. She wound a hand in her loose french braid, fidgeting with irritation at the person with her.

Cassie slid off the counter quickly, returning to her station in the kitchen. With my customer service smile plastered onto my face, I turned to greet the girl and the guy with her. "Hello, welcome to McDonald's. How can I help you?"

The guy was much taller than her, and he clearly used it to his advantage. When they stopped in front of my register, he rested his forearms on her left shoulder and peered at the menu overhead. "Uh, I'll take a..."

"Get off!" the girl hissed, shrugging him from her. She sent me an apologetic smile. "Sorry, it's been a long roadtrip."

I wondered why they'd gone on a roadtrip together since apparently he annoyed her. I nodded. "It's totally fine, order whenever you're ready."

After the girl ordered a six-piece nugget meal, I turned to the guy who'd supposedly forgotten his wallet. He grinned, and without hesitation asked for four separate entrees with two large fries.

The girl stomped her foot. "Gods, Travis! I'm not paying for all that."

Did she say gods, plural? I thought, figuring she'd slurred her words out of her frustration.

"I'm hungry!" The guy named Travis whined, and then winked at her. "Consider this our first date."

She scoffed and rolled her eyes, but faced me and relented. "Whatever. That'll be all for us, thanks."

"Wait, I want ice cream, too."

"Are you a literal child?"

I cringed. "Our machine's broken, I'm so sorry!"

Travis pouted, but the girl smiled. "Good. He doesn't need any sugar."

"Only sugar I need is yours." He leaned in as if to kiss her cheek, and she hurled away from him with a huff.

I didn't know what to think of the pair of roadtrippers. Their relationship had the energy of single-way annoyance, so I figured he pined after her often. I gave them their total, and the girl dug out her wallet. She sent him a glare as she paid in cash and told me to keep the change.

"You seriously don't think I'm paying for the entire trip, right?" the girl asked him as they stepped to the side and waited for their food.

"You know you like me too much to just leave me to starve, Katie-kat."