[ his vows ]

okay, this is by far the fluffiest fluff i've written. buT i'm so enchanted by the idea that travis' vows are showstopping at their wedding, so that's what i wrote. 

i might write katie's vows as well, who knows? maybe it'll be in a more first-person type shot, more descriptive of the actual wedding. read this shot and tell me what you'd like from katie's pov! 

words: 1309

. . .

Travis closed his eyes and drew a long inhale. 

Today was the day.

In the mirror, Travis saw a nervous man in a tux with a sprig of baby's breath clipped to his breast pocket. The slacks were slightly too short for his height, so the hem allowed a peek of his lucky cheese-printed socks to show. He shoved his hand into the pocket to make sure his balled-up notebook paper was still there, because he was absolutely sure he'd forget his vows if he hadn't written them down.

Today was it. 

Katie, when I first met you, I didn't realize how I would fall for your laugh, and later strive to be the reason for it. 

Connor greeted him as he entered the room where the rest of the groomsmen were preparing for the remainder of the day. He grinned and slapped him on the shoulder. "You clean up good, man. You almost look like a person."

Travis cracked a grin and yanked his best man into a hug. He'd rather had nobody else beside him than his little brother, his righthand man. 

We once would've laughed together if someone told us this day would come, and my heart still would've pattered. Even back when we hated each other, I was taken away from it with your laugh.

"You ready?" 

Still gripping Connor's arm, Travis nodded unsteadily. If he kept repeating the words in his head, he could recite it without an issue. 

Today, he'd say it all.

When we got to know each other better, I fell for more than just the outward appearance: I realized just how beautiful you were on the inside, too. You're strong, and bold, and everything I'd ever imagined wanting. 

You're the one, Kates.

The log cabin Travis had been staying in with his three groomsmen was a five-minute drive from the venue. Katie said she'd have died for a forest wedding, and he'd joked that he didn't want her to die so they should choose something different. 

Even the thought of their little jokes made him giddy.

I looked into your eyes and found my favorite color. I looked at your smile and found my favorite image. I looked into your soul and found my favorite comfort. 

The ride deeper into the woods felt like it went on for ages, especially as he remembered the rest of his quite lengthy vows. Why had he done that to himself? 

Because there was so much he wanted to tell the amazing girl who'd stand with him under the flower-laced arbor. 

Katie Gardner, keeper of my soul, holder of my heart; I will never abandon or ignore you, because you of all people deserve to have every ounce of love and time given. I will always be there for you, even when I teach our kids how to prank and you get really mad at me. Even when you're crying because you watched the last episode of Merlin again. Even when I don't feel like putting any effort into making things easier for you, that will forever be my goal. 

I love you more than any of these words could express.

Travis had only ever been to one wedding in his life - his cousin's, wherein he was the six year-old ringbearer. He remembered nothing besides the fancy corridors and chandeliers, but Katie hadn't wanted any of that. 

The open area in the middle of the forest consisted of long oak logs for the guests to sit on, and various greenery and flowers that matched much better than anything Travis could've come up with. Most of the guests were his family, seeing as many members of Katie's hadn't deserved an invite, to be frank.

Everyone clapped him on the back and congratulated him on the thing that hadn't happened yet, but it only served to make his heart skip beats. It was happening.

It was today. 

I promise to hold you near in the good times, and nearer still in the bad. Although, if all goes according to plan, there won't be many of the latter. 

I'm not sure what will happen in our lifetimes - honestly, I don't think many people here know if they'll live past tomorrow.

Fairy lights were strung between the tree branches, illuminating Travis' nerves and his hopes. He hesitantly pulled out the crumpled sheet that held the words he'd said over and over in his head, scanning the sentences to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything. 

One day, Katie, they'll write our epilogue. It'll say that we stuck together through thick and thin, and that there was never a greater story than the one it is wrapping up. It'll say that they chose each other again and again, and that there wouldn't have been anything that ever came between them. And I know for certain that it will say how much I cared about you. 

Travis took his place next to the officiant - who happened to be Chiron, of course - who gave him a warm smile. It took everything he had in Travis not to burst out crying then and there, but he'd promised himself to wait at least until Katie came out.

Our epilogue will make lovers of the future aspire for our flame, wish that their story would be like ours. Because if there's one thing I'm set on, Kates, is that our story will have a fairytale ending. It'll be a story I'll tell our kids at bedtime, a story I'll replay in my head every time I need a reminder of the breathtaking woman who somehow thought I was worth the risk. 

To quote the poet R.M. Broderick in closing, "Two things I'll forever be sure of, the sun will always fall for the moon, and I will always fall for you." 

He straightened when the flowery instrumental music stopped playing and the playlist Katie referred to as "aisle walking music" began. Another smack on the shoulder from Connor warranted a grunt from Travis and a chuckle from his best man. 

My favorite place in the world is right next to you, and that is where I intend to stay.

I love you.

It was today, and it was time. 

The moment Katie stepped into view on her father's arm, Travis completely blanked. 

Wow.

He didn't have the mental capacity to take in her attire, because no matter how elegant and stunning the dress was, it would never compare to the radiant smile on her face. She made eye contact with him and all hope for keeping in his tears abandoned him. Then, everything they'd ever been through together flashed through his mind - meeting her, annoying her, loving her. Every piece came together to form their life, the one they'd be sharing now. 

Crying was a very manly thing to do, he had to remind himself.

Before he knew it, Katie's hands were in his and the wedding had begun. His wedding. The one he'd be getting hitched in. With one last swat at his glassy eyes, Travis sniffled and scoffed at Katie. She grinned at him and wrinkled her nose, which was far too adorable for an action meant to tease him. 

Gods, he loved that girl. 

Travis had never listened to Chiron growing up, and that didn't change now. He was vaguely sure he heard something along the lines of, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today..."

All he processed were her eyes dancing with the filtered light through the trees. 

He was pretty sure she wasn't listening, either. 

But then it was time.

His love for her was beyond any of the words could contain, but he had to try and convey it. 

"Katie, when I first met you, I didn't realize how I would fall for your laugh, and later strive to be the reason for it."