[ unbelievable ]

i know we all headcanon that connor ships tratie more than anything, but what if he didn't see it coming for once?

words: 677

. . .

"You and Katie?" Connor cackled. "Together?!"

I shrugged, glancing at Katie and grinning. "Yeah. We've put aside our differences, so to speak."

My new girlfriend blushed when I reached for her hand. I felt bad for her - after we'd tested out a romantic relationship for a few weeks, we decided we'd tell the camp. Everyone had been so happy for us, and though surprised, they supported us to the fullest. They'd all wanted us together from the very beginning, so they were overjoyed. 

"Not even putting our differences aside," Katie added. "We found out we really didn't have any differences."

Connor smacked his knee and shook his head. "That's rich. Honestly, guys, you two are terrible liars. How can I believe that?"

I groaned. "Come on, man! We're serious."

Katie looked down bashfully, and I felt bad for her. She was super nervous about telling Connor, because she was worried he wouldn't react well. Miranda had, she smirked and said she told us so. But Connor didn't exactly have the same romantic finesse.

"That's funny. I think Aphrodite was on something when she paired you two up. There's no way you're for real."

Katie had been scared of being together. She had told me she was reserved and shy about everything related to dating: kissing, hugging, even holding hands would be a big step for her. I promised to take things slow and telling people at her own pace was part of that.

"Well, if you're not gonna believe us, then we'll just leave." I put an arm around Katie and turned around.

Connor just laughed some more. "It's just too funny."

I pulled Katie closer. "Don't worry about him, he's an idiot."

But Katie had a concentrated look on her face. Like she was plotting something. I went to question her, but before we got down the first step of the porch, she twirled me around and pushed me up against the pillar of the overhang. 

"Katie, wha-" I started, but she rendered me speechless by fitting her lips with mine. 

Almighty Zeus.

One of her hands found its way into my hair, while the other one traveled from my chest, to my shoulder, to my abdomen, to my back... I moaned in both shock and longing. My arms wound around her middle, and I bent forward to dip her back. 

So much for taking things slow.

"Eww, dude," Connor howled, jumping away from us. "I do not need to see that!"

I parted from Katie with a ragged breath and a smirk, and she bit her lip with uncertainty. 

Still, she faced Connor and put her hands on her hips. "Do you believe us now?"

Connor cringed and faked gagging back vomit. "You know what? You guys are perfect for each other - you're both sick human beings!"

Laughing, I kept my arm around Katie to march away from my brother. All the while, he hollered about being disgusted and scarred for life. I brought Katie to the door of her cabin and watched Connor throw himself dramatically into ours. He'd probably be puking for the rest of the day, but at least he believed us now.

"So, I guess that's everyone we need to tell," I said, squeezing her into my side. "But Connor was the most fun."

She blushed and looked down. "Yeah."

I pursed my lips. "You didn't have to do that if you weren't ready, I hope I didn't make you feel like you needed to. Connor would've found out eventually."

Katie violently shook her head. "No, I'm glad I did it. I'm sorry I ruined your relationship with your brother."

Chuckling, I waved him off. "He'll be fine. Me, on the other hand, I'm feeling way better."

"Me, too." She grinned and hesitantly pressed a kiss to my cheek before scurrying into her cabin.

I smiled to myself as I made my way back to the Hermes cabin, preparing myself to be smote by Connor. I'd never live it down, but it was worth it.

He believed us now.