[ jealous pt. 2 ]

i'm so sorry it took so long, but here it is! i kept rewriting it because i didn't like it, but i guess i'm satisfied with this. so, here!

also, some of you made very good observations about brady and you were right, so enjoy!

words: 1122

. . .

"Heya, Katie-kat!"

If three words could have started the next World War, those would've been the words. Travis swore he'd never been more bloodthirsty in his entire life - fighting Kronos didn't top this, Connor stealing his favorite airhorn didn't top this. 

"What did you just call me?" Katie broke the stent of silence with a harsh tone that should've made Brady quake in his Nikes. 

Confusion played across his face, but he persisted. Of course. "Katie-kat. A pretty cute nickname, if I do say so myself. But when do I get to call you mine?"

Oh, no he did not just say that.

Travis wanted so badly to let Katie handle this - he knew she was extremely able to take care of herself. She was strong, and willing, and stubborn. 

And everything he ever wanted.

"Brady, nobody calls me Katie-kat."

Pride swelled up in Travis, and he smirked. That was right. Nobody calls her Katie-kat but me.

"But I heard Travis call you that earlier...?"

"That's because he's the only one allowed to."

No matter how many times he told himself to let her defend herself, Travis argued his thoughts. Brady eyed Katie hungrily, and he couldn't let that happen. He couldn't just stand aside while there was someone preying on the girl he liked.

The girl he loved.

"Brady, if you haven't noticed, Katie and I are kinda a thing." Travis stepped closer to Katie, brushing his arm against hers.

Katie furrowed her brow but didn't move away. Travis counted that as a win.

Brady scoffed. "Are you, now? Then why'd you tell me she was single?"

Oh. That was a good point.

"Uh..." He scratched the back of his head with his absent hand, the other still curled around Katie. He looked at her, and in that moment he knew it didn't matter if she didn't reciprocate. He had to get his realization off his chest.

"Because we're not official. But that doesn't matter. I want us to be."

"Trav...?"

He cringed and abandoned his fight with Brady to take the consequences of announcing his feelings. He and Katie had a silent code - never to share real emotions between each other. Their relationship was strictly flirtatious, and nothing more. Travis was a player, for the gods' sakes. He wasn't supposed to catch feelings. 

But Katie was irresistible. 

"I think I'm in love with you, Kates."

Her eyes scored his features, looking for any signs of joking. If Travis wasn't in his own head, he'd have thought he was kidding, too. They weren't supposed to be together, they just flirted. 

She appeared to be taking it well, though. A light smile played across her lips, and she opened her mouth to speak.

"...So, does that mean I don't have a chance?"

The girl Travis had admired for so long spun to face Brady with a face that made him admire her all the more. "Yes, Brady, it means you do not have a chance. Not the slightest in Tartarus." 

The boy's expression fell, but he retreated much quicker than Travis would've expected. 

"Fine. I'm more interested in Olivia from the Hebe cabin anyway," he said, much less heartbroken than he should've been. He turned on his heels and marched towards the forest, disappearing into the brush.

Travis may have imagined it, but he could've sworn he saw Brady smile as he left.

But he had much bigger fish to fry.

"So... you love me?"

Out of habit, Travis scooped her up under his arm again. "Obviously. It was impossible not to fall for you, Katie-kat. You're a master of flirting."

Her giggle came naturally, seeing as their usual conversations consisted of sweet nothings and teasing remarks. But this time, her laughter was joyous. It had depth. It was the most wonderful thing Travis had ever heard.

"Well, Trav, I learned from the best." She reached up to lay a kiss on his cheek. That had happened many times before, but this time, it was different.

It was real. 

"Oh, I'm gonna need more than that now." His grin turned devilish as he swept her up off her feet.

She shrieked, "Travis! Put me down!" But she wrapped her legs around his hips and held onto him like there wasn't anywhere she'd have rather been.

Travis agreed - he wouldn't have traded this for anything. Not even the airhorn Connor took.

Nothing could've topped this.

And, when the long-awaited kiss happened, an eruption of true emotion flooded the strawberry fields. He held onto her like a life source, and she pressed herself so close to him that there wouldn't have been room for a breath between them. His heart nearly thudded out of his chest, and he felt her pulse surging in her chest, too. 

The energy between the flirty pair had rendered them speechless once they parted, which was not a norm for them. One always had a seductive quip for the other, and it was always reciprocated with a comment with just as much wanting.

Travis had never known he could've wanted her as much as he did just then. 

Once he'd set her down and they'd regained air in their lungs, Katie smiled at him brightly.

"What?" he asked. "Admiring how hot I am?"

She chuckled. "You were so jealous of him, weren't you?"

His elevated mood thumped back to the ground, and he scowled. "No, I was not!"

Her raised eyebrow told him she'd never believe his claim, so he sighed.

"Okay, fine. But I couldn't help it! Someone was hitting on my girl!"

"Your girl?" A tint rushed to her face, and Travis felt accomplished.

He stooped to her and kissed her chastely before murmuring, "My girl."

His girl.

"Did I do a good job?" Brady questioned.

The woman before him smiled radiantly, beauty exuding from her every pore. "You were wonderful, I'm so proud! I'll make sure to claim you publicly at your dinner tonight." 

He grinned and paced in front of his godly mother. "They really needed to admit how they felt. It was so annoying, and I hated being in the way."

"But that was what needed to happen," she assured him. "Those two never would've gotten together without a little push."

Brady was glad he had the chance to assist his own mother - the goddess of love, no less - in her plan. Indeed, Travis and Katie deserved each other, especially after all the pining that went on between them, like his mom told him. They belonged together.

"Good job, son." Aphrodite smiled. "You've done well."

He nodded and, with a quick goodbye, Brady returned to camp with a skip in his step. He'd done well, and he'd put a couple together that would've taken ages to do so alone. 

He really liked this job.