[ flowers ]

words: 256

. . .

"Really, Travis? Really?" 

"What?" I trailed after my girlfriend, bouquet hanging limply in one arm. I tried to extend the flowers to her, but she swatted them away. 

Her eyes shrunk into deadly slants. "Do you know what type of flowers these are, Travis?"

"Uh..." I scratched at my head. "Pretty ones?"

She huffed and stormed past me, stomping towards her cabin. I followed her, not knowing how I'd screwed up and not giving up until I found out. "Travis Stoll, you're an idiot."

"I knew that." I shrugged, still holding out the flowers. "I thought you liked all sorts of flowers. Why do you hate these?"

"Trav, these are petunias and butterfly weed." She looked at me as if I was supposed to realize just how awful those flowers were. When I gave her a dumbfounded shake of the head, she continued. "You're basically saying you're mad at me and you want to break up."

Oops. "Oh. That's what those mean?" 

"Yeah." She put her hands on her hips. "Butterfly weed means 'leave me' and petunias mean 'anger and hatred'."

I dropped the flowers and brought Katie close to me. "Well, in that case, were you aware that it's opposite day?" 

She rolled her eyes. "You're the worst."

"Why, thank you!" I traced her jawline with my fingertips, fluttering my lips across hers briefly. "Same to you."

"I hate you."

"Hate you, too, Katie-kat."

She grinned and pulled me into a hug. Her mouth settled right next to my ear, and she whispered, "Next time, try to remember that flowers mean things."