[ april fools ]

this one's even shorter than the last, but the idea of it was so darn cute so i hope y'all don't mind. 

words: 260

. . .

I found it really weird that Travis pulled me aside at breakfast with the most serious expression I'd ever seen him pull. It was even stranger when he took my hands in his and took a deep breath.

"Katie, I need you to know something." All kidding and joking left his eyes, and all that remained was the endless blue colors shifting in the light. "It's important."

I rolled my eyes, tempted to stand up and walk away. But his face was so yearning, so thoughtful... "Okay, what is it?"

"This is really hard to say," he lulled, inching closer to me. "But I've gotta say it. Katie Gardner, I'm in love with you."

My eyebrows shot up. When I didn't say anything, he continued.

"Ever since we met, I was just trying to find ways to get your attention. You're strong, and confident, and gorgeous. Man, are you gorgeous. I can't keep my eyes off of you. I've hidden it long enough - I love you with all my heart and more."

Words escaped me as I studied his face. What?

When I didn't react whatsoever, he started laughing nervously and yanked away from me. "Ha, gotcha - April fools, Katie-kat! You really fell for it, huh?"

I stared blankly at him, unblinking. "Travis, April Fools Day was almost a week ago."

His grin fell off his face.

"Care to explain?" I took a step toward him, and he took one back.

"Uh... See ya around!" He sped off, but I quickly followed.

"Get back here, Stoll! Explain your emotions!"