[ summer ]

this one's short, but what else is new? i just liked the prompt of katie coming back to camp when summer started and seeing travis again, and i haven't uploaded on this story in forever. so i figured this would do - sorry about that. but enjoy!

words: 496

. . .

Katie hadn't seen him in months. (Nine months. Plus a week and two days, to be exact.) Every day that passed had her counting down the days until she came back to camp. Throughout the year as she went to school, she missed seeing the other campers. They understood the struggles she had, they went through the same things together.

Not that she wanted to see him.

She didn't know why she bothered herself over him - it wasn't like she was looking forward to it. The endless stream of pranks washing her for three months straight; the wicked grin that she hadn't seen since last summer; the laugh that'd echoed in her ear since she last saw him. No, she'd been dreading this day all year. Hermes kids usually didn't stay year-round, but he and his brother were the exception. It was a nice break from their immaturity, but it would always come to an end when the handful of summer months rolled around. 

"Katie-kat!"

The all-too-familiar voice hit her with a wave of nostalgia from last year. Katie hesitated to turn around, but before she could, he'd already slipped in front of her.

Travis Stoll.

He stood gallantly, peering down at her from his annoying height advantage. Had he gotten even taller? Her heart skipped a beat, but she blamed it on the fact that he'd startled her. She hadn't seen those clear blue eyes in months. (Not that she'd been excited about it.)

"Hey." He smirked, not daring to come any closer lest he risk a knuckle sandwich. "I've missed you."

Katie rolled her eyes, stepping back. "No, you've missed pranking me. Big difference."

"Er, well, yeah. But I've also missed you."

"Sure." Brushing off his statement, she walked around him. She heard his footsteps following her, and she cursed under her breath.

"Aw, come on, Katie-kat," he called after her, quickly coming to stride beside her. "Don't be like that."

His stupid grin spread when she growled and got in his face.

"Don't call me that."

Travis' eyes lit up when he remembered her irritation at the nickname. "Don't call you what, Katie-kat?"

"Shut up."

"Make me."

She jabbed a finger at him. "I really just want to kick back and enjoy the summer. Chiron thinks this'll be a peaceful few months, and I don't want it interrupted by you."

He chuckled, sticking his tongue out gleefully. "Oops, too late."

"I hate you."

"Mmm, say it again..." he moaned sexually, cackling when Katie slugged him in the arm. "Hey!"

"You had that coming."

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

Katie rolled her eyes, but fought a grin on her face. As much as she hated it, she missed the banter. She'd never tell him, of course. All he needed was more things to hold against her. But she always missed hearing his laughter after he'd pranked her, and the gleam in his eye when he got on her nerves. 

Maybe she did miss him.