[ bedtime story ]

okay, this was by far my favorite to write. this was a request by demigodishheadcanons to write a one shot of tratie with kids. i'm sobbing, lol. 

hope you enjoy!

words: 1681

. . .

"Dad, Lucy planted weeds in my bed again!"

"Tell Ryder not to put rubber snakes in the bathroom!" 

"Dad, she was asking for it!"

"Dad!"

Katie laughed when I groaned and cast my eyes to the ceiling, standing up for what could've been the hundredth time that night. We'd put them to bed a half hour ago, but things kept happening and we'd have to tuck them in over and over. 

"Dad!"

But kids never rested. 

"Wishing you hadn't shown Ry your old prankbook, huh?" Katie remarked with a grin. "They've been at it all night. Good luck putting 'em to bed."

"Why do I have to do it?"

"Because they're calling for you."

I pouted, but they continued shouting my name. I walked away from the crime show we'd been watching to see the new big deal with the kids. When I poked my head in their room, they were wrestling on the bottom bunk, Ryder with a rubber snake in his hand and Lucy with a murderous expression on her face. 

They were only seven and five, but each of them sure packed a punch. 

"Hey, hey! Break it up, you two." I yanked Ryder off Lucy and held him by the shoulders. 

He furrowed his brow. "Dad, I've got weeds in my bed."

"And he threw that stupid snake on me again!" Lucy whined. 

I sighed and stood up. I grabbed the office chair from the other room and rolled it in. Thankfulness for my mom putting up with Connor and me flashed through my head - we had to have been the biggest handful growing up. I sat in the chair and said, "Okay, Ryder. Get in bed. You too, Lucy. I'm gonna tell you a bedtime story."

Confusion crossed both of their faces, and Lucy said, "But Mom always tells us bedtime stories."

Our youthful competitiveness had majorly died off now that we were married with children of our own, but a rivalry that intense couldn't have vanished completely. When Lucy defended Katie's storytelling, I immediately felt a surge of challenge.

"Well, I tell the best stories." 

Satisfied, Ryder clambered up to the top bunk and Lucy burrowed into her sheets. They eyed me expectantly, and I suddenly realized why Katie told all the bedtime stories. 

I sucked at bedtime stories.

Get yourself together, you're Travis Stoll! I pumped myself up, and I smiled at the nostalgia of hyping myself up to beat Katie. 

"Alright, this is the story about a duel of the ages."

Their eyes lit up, and I couldn't help but get excited with them. Tomorrow night, they'd be begging for me to tell another one. Katie would be livid.

Ah, just like the good old days.

"Now, there once was a boy who lived in this very city. He was only ten, but he discovered that he'd one day be a hero! So, he went to train at a place that raised all the very best heroes to fight together."