[ high school au ]

this was a request by Guess123678 and it's reALLY cheesy oops. i tried not to make it too unoriginal, but uhhhh i'm not original so sorry lol

words: 1653

. . .

"Katie!"

I hated my school.

"Katie, I know you hear me."

I knew it wasn't edgy or unique to think that, but it was how I felt. I had a visceral response to being in the moldy yellow brick buildings, and not just because of the rancid color scheme. 

"Katie!"

Olivia jogged up behind me and - unfortunately - caught up to my quickened pace. I tried to keep a straight face, but my expression morphed into a cringe as she took the loop of my backpack and tugged it to stop me. 

The people were definitely a factor in my negative outlook.

"What do you want?"

"I wanted to know if you were going to Justin's party. He got in touch with his dealer." She grinned. "It's gonna be good."

"It's a school night." Shaking my head, I kept walking. I didn't know why Olivia thought I ran in her circles after all these years, because I preferred to keep my GPA at a comfortable level and made that clear. But going to a small town high school meant everyone knew everyone, and you only had two choices of friend groups: the goody-goodies or the potheads.

I was unlucky enough to be next-door neighbors with Olivia, who was in the latter crew. 

"Come on, it's Valentine's Day," she whined and trailed behind me. "It'll be a single's wonderland."

"I told you before, I'm not single."

"And I told you, nobody's gonna believe you if you make up such a crazy story about your imaginary boyfriend."

I didn't know what was so unbelievable about dating a guy in New York when we were only in Pennsylvania, but I digressed. 

I waved my hand in the air to tell her to screw off as I entered my chemistry class. 

Only one more semester, and I'd be out of there.

When I sat down in the second row, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I glanced at Mr. Walker to make sure he wasn't looking, and I pulled it out and held it under my desk to read the text. 

Mornin, sunshine.

Travis.

My one ray of hope to get me through the last semester of my high school career. Only one more semester, then I'd move to New York to go to college with my boyfriend. I hadn't seen him since winter break, when I went up to spend New Year's Eve with him. I didn't care that nobody in my town believed me, but Travis and I met at a summer camp and hit it off. That was real enough for him and me, and that was what mattered.

school sucks

He read my reply, but didn't say anything back. I knew he had physics for first period, and his teacher was a jerk when it came to phones. So, I stuffed mine back in the pocket of my hoodie. (Technically, it was his hoodie, but no one thought I was being serious when I said he'd given it to me at the New Year's party.)

Halfway through the period, my phone vibrated again. 

One more semester, love.

I'm gonna kill someone if Callaway says "black holes" one more time.