[ lying lessons pt. 1 ]

okay, i saw an ask headcanon on tumblr and literally exploded from how cute it was. so i wrote it.

it's short, but i sobbed while writing it.

words: 519

. . .

"Look at this pen."

The bunk creaked as Travis leaned forward to show Katie the blue inked pen. They were alone in the Hermes cabin, which made for the perfect opportunity for the lying lessons he was giving her, according to him.

"Okay." She inspected it, not knowing what that had to do with her lesson.

"This pen is red."

The way he'd said it sounded so honest, so real. If she hadn't have been looking straight at it, she would've believed him in a heartbeat.

She snorted. "No it's not. I want to sound convincing lying about things that other people can't fact check in a second."

"Trust me. You're lucky to have the King of Lies as your boyfriend."

"Is that supposed to be comforting?"

He grinned and urged, "Just start small, 'kay? This pen is red."

Katie sighed, going along with his antic. "This pen is red."

His cerulean eyes studied her, much like a teacher observing his student. "Try again. Don't raise your voice at the end."

"This pen, is red."

"You paused in the middle of your sentence. You're gonna have to try harder than that if you're gonna date a Hermes kid, Kates."

She huffed. "I am trying!"

The pen was most blatantly not red. She didn't know what this had to do with being able to lie well, but he'd been adamant to teach her his "secrets". Every time she uttered the words, he had a new correction. If it were up to her, they'd be using the empty cabin for... different endeavors. But he'd insisted.

Travis nodded at the pen, holding back a giggle. "This pen is red."

"This pen is red."

This time, he full-out laughed. "Every time you lie, your voice cracks and your lip twitches."

"Spend a lot of time looking at my lips, Stoll?"

She'd said it as a joke, but it took exactly two seconds for him to pin her against the mattress, eyes roaming her in a much less studious way than before. She sucked in a sharp inhale, not at all seeing that coming. His hand grazed her side, and his breath ghosted over her neck as he whispered three simple words.

"Every second, Gardner."

Her own breath hitched as his lips trailed up her jawline, and she felt him smirk. Rigidity struck her body as his fingers traced the hem of her shirt. She fumbled with her hands before finding his curly hair, tugging lightly at it while she guided him up to her lips.

She felt his chapped lips on hers for a split moment before he backed up and muttered in a deep rumble, "Gods, Katie."

"What?" Her voice was hushed and breathless.

He leaned in again, almost brushing his lips with hers. Then, as if nothing had happened in the first place, her boyfriend hopped off of her and presented the pen again with the flash of a smile.

"You almost distracted me from our lesson. Now, what color is this pen again?"

Gods, she'd never be able to learn how to lie when he pulled stunts like that.