[ not so blind pt. 2 ]

meh, i don't hate it so i'll just post it. 

words: 1250

. . .

Katie's POV

The night progressed with stumbling awkwardness, dusk settling my nerves so I at least wouldn't have to see the hopeless expression on Piper's face. She'd wanted so badly for this to work, and I think Travis knew, too. He tried extra hard to not retract into his enemy stance, and instead extended kindness to me.

"You look great tonight," Travis commented sarcastically, a smirk spread across his face. 

I stuck my hands in the pocket of my hoodie. "Thanks, I stole this from a friend of mine."

Nobody knew because he hadn't worn it since his freshman year of high school, but it was his. 

"You stole it, eh?" He quirked an eyebrow, which was something that made me want to lean over and kiss him on the spot. "Sounds like something I'd do."

Why in the Hades is he so freaking hot?

I shrugged. "Guess being enemies with you for so long has rubbed off on me. It has its disadvantages." 

"Exactly!" Piper interjected. "See, you have something in common already."

Shaking my head, I turned to her. "Oh, we have a lot in common. That's why we hate each other."

Travis joined in. "Yeah. We're both cabin counselors, we hate the Lego movie with a passion, we're best at hand-to-hand combat-"

"-and we can't stand each other," I finished valiantly. 

Jason and Piper exchanged a look saying If only they knew how perfect for each other they are. 

Obviously, I agreed with the sentiment. But I couldn't say anything. 

"So, what are you supposed to talk about on a blind date anyways?" Travis ran his fingers through his curls while maintaining eye contact with me, and it drove me nuts. 

Piper pursed her lips. "Usually, a blind date is with someone you're not familiar with. So, scratch all the get-to-know-you questions... You could always find something you don't hate and go from there. Try saying something nice about each other."

Travis tapped his chin. "Hmm.... something I don't hate about Katie... That's a hard one, Piper."

"More like impossible," I muttered.

"Impossible? Is that a challenge, Katie-kat?" He hummed, leaning over the table towards me. "I'll bet I can name more good things about you than you can about me."

I was known for not backing out of challenges, especially with Travis. We competed in everything we did with each other - from who could insult the other better to who the best arm-wrestler was, we made it a contest. Now, the dilemma was if I could stay in character and accept his challenge or back down so as not to raise other suspicion. 

When I saw the gleam in his eyes, however, I knew I couldn't refuse. It was too tempting to out-complement him.

"You're on, Stoll."

"Ladies first, Gardner."

I straightened on the bench, looking him up and down. "You don't suck at archery."

"That's not a complement." 

"It is too, I just said you weren't bad at something!"

Travis huffed. "Fine, my turn." He bit his lip and winked at me. "You're the most stunning demigod I've ever laid eyes on. It's so annoying."

Piper smiled softly, but I rolled my eyes. "Talk about faking it. That's so over-the-top, nobody would believe that."

"It was better than yours. Your turn."

"Okay... you have such a carefree attitude about everything, and it's nice to be around... sometimes."

"Try harder, I'm winning," Travis declared. "I like how you wear your hair in french braids every day, they suit you."

I narrowed my eyes. "Who says you're winning? Your eyes are so easy to get lost in, they're so enrapturing."

He laughed. "Now you're walking the line of unbelievable."

"Well, I meant it." I creaked forward on the bench, coming face to face with him. "Do you need me to say it again? Your eyes are enrapturing."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Piper and Jason glancing at each other, but I couldn't find it in me to care. I was right, Travis' eyes were like the woods at camp - once you got in them, you couldn't stop exploring them. The blues were ever-shifting, from light and gleeful to deep and emotional. I used to hate it, but now I wanted to wake up seeing them every morning.

"And I meant what I said," he whispered, coming closer. "You're gorgeous, Kates. I mean that with every part of my body."

"You couldn't have possibly-" I began, but Travis' soft lips pressed against mine before I had time to respond. 

Oops.

Our hands met, using the picnic table for support as we leaned over to kiss chastely. It only lasted a second or so, but it was enough to give me shivers and leave me wanting more. I never got used to his kisses; they shook your entire being, made you feel empty after they ended. They sent you to another planet and kept you there among the stars. 

That was why I forgot we had an audience until Travis smirked. "You know how I told you I pranked the Demeter cabin? Here it is."

Soon, a whole group of campers came from behind the cabins and trees surrounding the pavilion, ooh-ing and laughing. Piper and Jason joined in on the chorus of "I knew it"s echoing in my head, and "I'm so happy for you two"s followed soon after.

They were... happy about it?

Travis quickly explained himself before I blew up all over him. "Connor found out about us and said he'd tell everyone if I didn't, and I figured what better way than you prank you?"

He put an arm around me and kissed the top of my head, smiling like a fool and giggling. 

He was so cute.

I hated it, but I couldn't find it in myself to be mad. I would definitely give it to him later on, when I wasn't so relieved that nobody had a bad reaction to us being together. 

"I hate you!" I yelled over the crowd, smiling at him before burying my head into his chest.

He hugged me close. "Love you, too."

In that moment, everyone knew we were together and everything was perfect. My anxiety about the whole thing melted away as we spent the rest of the night telling everyone the story of how we went from hating each other's guts to dating. Of course, I was so mad at Travis, but how could you stay angry at him? By the time he was walking me back to my cabin, I'd forgotten to chew him out.

"See? That wasn't too bad." He gripped my hand and swung it in time with our feet, giving it a squeeze. 

I wrinkled my nose. "I hate to admit it, but you were right. I feel a lot better having everyone know."

"Yup. A not-so-blind date was a great idea, if I do say so myself."

"Alright, alright. No more patting yourself on the back. I'm going to sleep." We stopped at the front of the Demeter cabin, and I laced my fingers behind his neck and stood up on my toes to be eye level with him.

"You do know that I love you, right?" He held me steady with his arms around my waist. 

I answered him by shutting the gap between us and kissing him. This time, nobody interrupted us, nobody was there to witness. I gave into his touch like I had for the past three years, loving that we didn't have to hide anymore. 

Breaking off, I slipped into the door and kept it open long enough to smile dreamily at him and sigh out three words: "Hate you, too."