[ a good dad ]

hello, nothing is hotter than a guy who's good with kids. that is all, thank you.

words: 646

. . .

"Travee!" Katie's little cousin screeched when she got to the door of the apartment. She sped in, wrapping her arms around Travis' neck and hopping up and down.

"Emily, hey!" Travis responded with just as much enthusiasm. He lifted her up and spun her around, and when he set her down he got down on his knees to be her height. "It's been forever. How's the prettiest first grader in New York?"

"Good," she giggled, smiling at him with her missing front tooth.

Katie greeted her aunt and uncle, who were about to celebrate their anniversary with a nice dinner. She'd offered to babysit while they were out, and they graciously accepted. Once they said their goodbyes to Emily, they went to enjoy their free night.

Emily then pointed at Katie. "She's the prettiest grown-up in New York!"

Travis smirked while Katie rolled her eyes. She hated it when people talked about her looks because she had self-esteem issues in high school. (Travis had helped her out of it a great deal in college, and now that they'd been dating for almost three years and had a flat together, he'd just about convinced her that she was good looking. But that wasn't the point.)

"She is indeed."

As Katie watched her boyfriend play with Emily, she appreciated how he treated her. Nothing was hotter than a guy who could do well around kids, and Travis was one of the best when it came to entertaining and tolerating children. He carried her around the apartment like a superhero; pretended to be the villain while she was the spy on a top-secret mission; set up a fake treasure chest full of candy while they sailed the carpeted seas in search of land as they were pirates; turned on classical music and watched her perform a "professional" ballet dance; ransacked Katie's makeup and formal attire to dress her up and be a princess. (She couldn't find it in her to mind.)

Before they knew it, Emily's parents were back and ready to take her home. She would have thrown a tantrum had she not been so worn out from the night, because she didn't want to go.

"I shall come and visit thee, M'lady," Travis assured her with the dashing sincerity of a knight in shining armor. "Parting is such sweet sorrow, but until our paths cross once more I shan't think of anyone but you."

Emily stuck her tongue out gleefully, her whole face scrunching up with happiness. "I'll miss you too, Prince Charming!"

"Fare thee well, beautiful maiden!" Travis waved after her as she walked down the hallway with her parents.

He collapsed on the couch the second they shut the door, letting out a long breath. "She's adorable, but boy is it a lot of work to keep her on her toes."

Katie cuddled up to him and kissed him when he faced her.

"What was that for?"

She grinned. "You're gonna be the greatest dad. Ever."

He allowed her to sprawl out over his body, welcoming the physical closeness. "Yeah? I know a specific someone who'll be the best mom in the world."

Katie curled up against him, fluttering a kiss across his jaw. "Is that so?"

"Yeah. Annabeth will be so organized and realistic when she and Percy..."

She punched him in the stomach, trying to speak through her giggles. "Shut up, moron, you know I'll make a decent mother."

"Decent?" Travis shook his head. "You'll be amazing, Kates. I can't wait to see you changing all our baby's diapers and feeding them baby slop."

"Oh, so I'll be doing all the work?"

He laced his fingers behind his head. "Yup. I've got the playing part down, you just have to worry about constructing the nursery, buying the necessities, dressing and feeding them... you know, the simple stuff."

"I somehow doubt that."

"I hope we have twins!"