[ moving in pt. 2 ]

when i tell you i was hollering the entire time i was writing this, y'all... my dog looked at me like i was crazy, but i'm really happy with how this turned out. i loved writing this shot, so i hope you love reading it!

words: 1274

. . .

"Erm, well," Travis muttered, rubbing the back of his neck. "This is awkward."

"Awkward? More like unbearable." Katie collapsed onto the mattress with fading hope of a scarcely normal night.

He shrugged. "Guess there isn't anything we can do about it tonight, though. We can always bring it up to Chiron in the morning."

"Can't we go out, too?"

"I'm pretty sure that we passed the number of healthy room capacity in the main room about ten people ago. Chiron would kill us."

She didn't remember the last time Travis had worried about Chiron being mad over something, but he stood firm.

How could she possibly get through the night?

"Fine, but you're sleeping on the floor."

Travis held up his hands defensively, losing the reasonable counselor attitude from earlier. "Hold on a minute, this is my cabin! I should get to decide who sleeps where, and you're the one on the floor."

Katie shook herself. "Um, what happened to the whole 'be our guest' thing?"

"Well, your cabin's our guest, I never said anything about you specifically."

With that, Travis slipped into the other side of the twin-sized cot, effectively making Katie stand up. He made himself comfortable and sprawled out on the mattress.

"That's more like it. 'Night, Katie-kat!"

No way was Katie letting him have the satisfaction of the cot all to himself. She'd been through too much that day to be condemned to sleeping on the floor, especially by the likes of Travis.

Without saying a word, she sat back on the cot and bumped him until he gave up half of the space.

"Hey!" Travis grunted, pushing back until she'd been shoved onto the floor again.

"Oh, no you don't," Katie huffed, and she plopped back down and elbowed him out of the way.

"I'm not sleeping on the floor of my own cabin," Travis insisted.

"And I'm not sleeping on the floor of someone else's cabin."

He grinned impishly and, without warning, Katie was pulled up flush to his chest. She struggled for a moment, twisting around to face the wall, before his voice reverberated against her back. 

"Guess we'll have to share, then."

The words didn't click for a minute; Katie was sure he hadn't said it. Like that, in bed. With her. 

However, when she did realize what he'd said, she squirmed apart. "I'm not leaving this cot, Stoll."

"Oh, I'll make you want to leave." He whispered in a gravely tone. "You can't stand being near me, it'll only take a few minutes of this and you'll be running for the hills."

He yanked her back to him, one arm slung over her middle casually, the other giving support to her neck. Shocked, Katie froze up as his warm breath whispered across her cheek. 

"Get off me, Stoll," she panted lightly, still motionless. 

"Ladies first, Gardner. I'm not moving."