2. A Lifeless Life

(Edited- 30-07-2020)

_______________

Sadhna's POV

I was in the kitchen when I saw my son walking downstairs. He started to walk towards the dinning area once he handed his office bag to the worker.

As usual on his way towards the dinning area, he picked the newspaper kept on the living room table and as soon as he reached, he slid onto the chair and started reading it. I made my way towards him and faked coughed a bit to draw his attention. He looked up and smiled at me.

"Good morning mom." he said, trying to sound cheerful but who was he kidding to? I am his mother. Not wanting to bring up the matter, I faintly smiled at him wishing him the same while serving him the breakfast. Few minutes later his father also joined the table and everyone started eating their food.

The breakfast was a silent affair as usual. The whole time my son kept trying to avoid my gaze on him by looking everywhere but me. Nevertheless I managed to study him. The hurt and loneliness were evident. He thought I would not notice his slightly puffed eyes, but I did. It hurt me more seeing my son in this state, who was wearing a facade of happiness to show us i.e. his own family members that he is not sad.

It then suddenly strikes me that today was that day. No wonder his eyes are puffed and slightly red. I thought to myself, continuing on having my food.

It wasn't a new thing. This had almost become a daily routine since she left him. He don't deserve what he is getting today. Why is fate so harsh on my son? Doesn't he have a right to leave a happy life like others? My small reverie was broken by a joyful squeal of a girl.

"Swayuuuuuuu uncle!" She squealed running towards my son, who by now had finished his breakfast. He quickly opened his arms and caught her off her feet and placed her on his lap kissing her cheeks.

By now, my daughter Taani had made her presence in the dining area panting heavily. No doubts this little package of energy had made her run behind her. Alia is my granddaughter and a 3 year old daughter of Taani.

I remembered that they were to visit us this morning. I hugged my daughter and handed her water. Then I averted my gaze towards my son who by now was grinning widely at the cute antiques and innocent talks of Alia. They both were talking and playing. Only Alia had the power and only she managed to bring that wide smile on his face among all the sorrows in his life. He loved her a lot and called her as the princess of the house.

My eyes moistened on seeing the duo when suddenly my daughter held me by my shoulder pulling me out of my trance. I passed a smile towards her.

"How's everything? Any changes?"
She asked me. My smile immediately dropped on hearing her and that gave her the answer. She would ask this with hope everytime she would visit us and meet with disappointment on hearing the same reply everytime.

Although the world may see him as a rising billionaire, handsome, young, talented, responsible, but they merely know him in real. He bought us this huge bungalow nearly 3 years ago. after successfully settling the Finance business in the industry which he started 6 years back which is one of the top most companies in the country today. He equipped the house with all the possible luxuries. He kept himself occupied by all sorts of professional things, merely to fill the lone space in his life but he couldn't. Though he shows us that he has moved on, but I know, he hasn't... We even shifted to Mumbai from Pune on his insistence 4 years ago.

Among these four years, he engrossed himself with so much of work and business that he hardly got time for himself. Over these years, he built walls around him. He wasn't like this earlier, he was jolly and a playful boy but now he wears a facade of a rude, an arrogant, a professional and a business minded person in order to cover up his vulnerability from the whole world.

Even after being successfully established in market, he was never satisfied and I know the reason. He will be relieved only after her dream is accomplished. That's where my mind shifts to his friends.

It's not like they have been friends since childhood and stuff, but it's been almost 4 years that the group has known him. It's a dance group called D3. He met them years back concerning her dream of a successful event management company. It's not that he cannot run one by all the money and fame he got but he wants to live her dream. Hence, he ended up being friends with the team so as to give his personal attention to the dream. Besides Alia, there were these people who were able to keep my son happy at times. Be it only for some moments, he enjoyed their company silently.

I was drawn out of my reverie when I heard my son saying that he would be leaving as he has an important meeting scheduled at the office. Saying this, he picked up one of the keys kept in the key holder. There were nearly 8-10 keys in it. He had a crazy collection of cars and bikes. He usually opted to drive by himself rather than being chauffeur driven to his workplace or anywhere else. As I was at the door waving him a bye, he just smiled at me and zoomed his car out of our sight.

_______________

A/N

Here's the 2nd chapter and I tried to write my best.
Please do let me know how it was!

Vote, comment and share!