Chapter 43 - The Aftermath

It was dead silent for a little while.

"It is gone," Laxus intervened. "She's tricking you, Sting. We already informed the council and gramps—Makarov about this. The best course of action is to stay by the blonde's side and wait. Is that clear?"

I gaped at Laxus. It made no sense. "Wait...how?"

"She was tricking you, Sting." Laxus furrowed his eyes. "How else were you guys able to attack her?"

"He's lying!" Lilith gulped and she screamed. It was so loud that I turned out of instinct.

"Just let me out and I'll make sure I'll never do anything bad again!" She frowned, tears trickled down her face and her demon markings disappeared. "It's not like I had a choice either! I was forced to do it and-"

"Zip it!" Laxus yelled. He stomped up to her then grabbed her by the neck. "Don't act like that. We know what act you're putting up, demon. We saw you do it. You hurt many of our comrades just with your little play. We're done with it. If it is what you claim then go save your story for the council."

Laxus loosened his grip then let go. "Tch," he sighed. "I'll leave Lucy and the flamehead to you two. Sting, Rogue. I'd better head back to gramps." He said.

"Laxus," Rogue quickly added. Laxus turned back around.

"Sorry about that...we were confused. If it weren't for you, everything would be a mess right now..."

Laxus had a small smile you wouldn't see everyday. "Well..." he started. "Be more careful, kids."

I grinned. "Yeah! Thanks!"

As he left, Rogue and I looked at each other for a moment.

"Rogue," I started out.

"Sting," he answered back.

"Why did Natsu do that..?" I asked, straight to the point. "I forgot how powerful he can be...but I never knew he could do that..."

"Gajeel did the same all those years ago. The X791 magic games..." Rogue lowered his voice.

I looked at him and nodded. "I remember that..."

"But the thing is..." Rogue trailed. "I don't remember any of it. M'lady told me but I don't seem to remember any bit of it."

My eyes widened and I let out a response that sounded almost like a whisper. "Really?"

He nodded.

"However," Rogue quickly snapped off the topic. "See how Lucy's doing. I'll check Natsu's state," Rogue said. He blushed. "You're lucky to have such a good person with you. You deserve it."

My face felt hot and I furrowed my brows. "It's not like that Rogue!" I pouted.

Rogue chuckled. "Yeah yeah, sure it isn't."

I frowned. "Seriously? You're acting more like Yukino now! You got a thing with her?" I nudged him. His face flushed tomato red.

"W-What?! Don't drag Yukino into this!" He squeaked.

I smiled. "Nah, I was only kidding. But yeah, we should check their conditions before someone comes back to see us happily talking."

Rogue nodded. "I agree on that one."

***
3 Months Later...
~ Sting P.O.V ~

I was in the Crocus Hospital. Sitting by Lucy who was still in a coma. Rogue, Yukino and the others already left to do some jobs. Lucy's been in hospital for 3 months now. Three whole months.

Everything that happened has been kept a secret from the public. It's considered as confidential information that shall not be passed down or told to anyone that was not in a guild from the Grand Magic Games of X998. There were thousands of deaths, it was uncanny. I understand why they wanted this a secret. Everyone got over it over time but there were a few who couldn't.

I was one of the few who couldn't get over this.

Lucy was hit the hardest by this and I feel terrible. We could have been looking out for her. We shouldn't have let her get stabbed like that. But I was told it was no ordinary knife. It had some sort of drug that forced her into a coma. We don't know what it is but we know for sure that it will keep her in this state for the maximum of a year. The least amount of time it'll take for her to recover would be 7 months.

But I'm not letting my hopes get up.

I stood up then stood above her. I brushed her blonde hair to the side. I kissed her on the forehead and smiled.

"Get well soon, Lucy."

And with that, I simply left like every other person did. I went back to my guild and welcomed as Sabertooth's master.

During those months, my position as Sabertooth's master was now public. Natsu woke up from his one month coma. Lavendar—no, Lilith was put on a death sentence and therefore executed. Dracul was sent into prison for being her accomplice, staying there for his whole life.

"Sting! You're back!" I heard Yukino yell. She smiled and looked up at me. "Is Lucy alright?"

I looked down and sighed. "Sadly, she's still in the same state after those 3 months."

"Oh.." Yukino lowered her voice.

"It's alright. It isn't permanent and we know that," Rogue added.

"Still," Yukino interrupted. "Lucy didn't deserve it."

I nodded, covered half of my face. "It's my fault..."

Yukino and Rogue looked blankly at me. Yukino quickly grabbed my shoulders.

"Sting! Don't say that...we know it wasn't your fault." Yukino frowned. "So please, stop blaming yourself for these things and-"

"How about we go on a job request?" Rogue intervened.

My eyes trailed to Rogue and they widened at the sound of that. "What? But it's been forever and-"

"I'm sure Master Sting shouldn't mind..."

I arched a brow. I couldn't take him seriously so I ended up chuckling. "Wow Rogue, where'd you get that from?"

He blushed. "Well...it was getting gloomy and I had to do something."

"Pfft, it's alright." I let out a small smile. "But you're right. We should get ourselves busy, right Yukino?"

Yukino nodded. "It'd be fun!"

"Don't forget Sting," Minerva interrupted. "There's a meeting in Clover Town in 5 hours."

I looked at Minerva. "I won't take 5 hours to do a job you know!" I frowned. "Let's go," I turned to Yukino and Rogue.

They smiled at each other before we looked on the job board and took one.

We were off on a job now.

Man...it feels like it's been forever since I went on a job request.