Chapter 3: Change In Plans

The first five minutes of the car ride was just plain awkward. Mikasa was trying to start small talk but I just wasn't into anything she was really trying to tell me.
     "You know, you look better when you are smiling." Mikasa mumbles to me. A low key look on her face.
     "I know. I just think it shows week ness." I reply.
     "Not that I or anyone thinks you're weak."
     "Heh! I guess you're right."
     "Of course I'm right." We laugh together.
     Once we come to a red light, I stare at Mikasa. She also was caught staring at me. We quickly look away. Small and short laughs come out of us. I do admit, I miss us hanging out. As friends of course!
     We get inside and find Eren and Annie. Eren looks at me dead in the eyes and makes a confused yet angry face. I remember Mikasa saying he was fine with me coming, what was the big deal?
     "Mikasa," Eren starts.
     "Eren," Mikasa finish's.
     "Mikasa, I said you can bring a friend not some old man, douche bag." Eren says. I walk towards Eren, angry he would say something about me like that. Especially after all I have done for him. Mikasa grabs my hand and pulls me away.
     "Eren please. He is a good friend! Just give him a chance. Remember the good old days." Mikasa says. Annie just sits and stares down. "Annie come on! You know Levi is a good guy." Mikasa says to Annie.
     "I'm just gonna go." I say walking towards the door. I hear Mikasa call for me but I still push open the door. Mikasa runs outside.
     "Levi! Levi please wait!" Mikasa calls. I stop. "We don't have to stay here. We can go eat some place else. Like Burger King." I turn around and gave her.
     "Burger King is dirty." I say.
     "Everywhere is dirty." Mikasa reply's.
     "I'll settle for Applebee's."
     "Deal!"
     We get in the car and start driving to Applebee's. Mikasa keeps apologizing about everything. She claims she thought Eren forgave the fight that we got in. None the less, it was not her fault. The rest of the car ride was silent.
     We sit down across from each other. Not being able to help myself I ask, "What did Eren mean back there?" Mikasa just looks at me and thinks. "I mean about the age thing."
     "Well I mean you are 18 and I'm 15. But maybe he just thinks you're an old man pervert trying to trick me into being your friend or something more. And then murdering me in the end." Mikasa explains. Her eyes look back at me. "I guess you can tell that we talked about it before."
     "Well I promise you that I'm not any type of murder." We laugh.
     "Yeah. I know that. Hehe!"
     We get our food and talk well just plain small talk. The food was good. Better than eating with all the germs at Burger King. Though this place is also filled with germs.
     I pay for the food, and we exit the building. The car ride home was quite fun and instead of my normal whatever rest face I had put on my grin. Mikasa and I kept making eye contact.
     "I can't go home." Mikasa says.
     "Why?" I ask.
     "Because of the way Eren was tonight."
     "You can stay at my place if you want. I have a pull out couch."
     "That would be great if you don't mind." Mikasa says sounding relieved.
     I know now that this wasn't a real date. But I may have just gotten my best friend back. And maybe soon we can be more.
     We arrive at the house and I walk Mikasa inside. She looks around with her mouth dropped. "This is the cleanest house I have ever been in!" She laughs. I join in.
     "Okay so I just set up blankets on the couch, if you need anything my bedroom is upstairs and last room on the right." I inform Mikasa.
     "Okay thank you!" She says in response. She runs up to me and gives me a hug. I awkwardly hug her back. It felt nice. "I'm gonna go to bed. Good night, Levi."
     "Goodnight, Mikasa." I reply with a full smile on my face. I head upstairs and grab my journal. Sure it seems stupid but I have always journaled. The last thing I write is I. Like. Mikasa. And it is 100% true.