Chapter 40: Kenny's Whatever It's Called

I wake with a start. I look over and Mikasa is gone and it is 1:00pm. I'm late for school. I look in the mirror and see that there is a sticky note on my head. I peel it off and read it.
-Went to school and took your car. I felt your head this morning and you had a huge fever. Get some rest. Also why were you sleeping in my bed? Forget it, just try and feel better, just not in my room because I hate being sick.-
     I walk into the bathroom, a little bit worried for some reason, and take my temperature. 102 degrees. Great. Just great. Mikasa and I were supposed to go out for dinner tonight and now we can't do that. I get downstairs and start mixing together some of Kenny's cure for flue thing.
     He never gave it a name but he would always have some made up. He said it was because I was always getting into fights and having panic attacks over dirt or getting a tad bit sick. He would hear me come through the door and hand me a cup. Wasn't so bad to be completely honest. Sometimes, like now, I miss him. But most times I don't.
     I remember him telling me that I needed to communicate better with him. I told him he should come up with a name for his drink so that whenever I needed it I could actually tell him. He patted my head and told me he would always have some ready when I walked inside his house.
     He always knew how to do things right and I hated it so much. I was a pretty smart kid and he always had to make me feel stupid. He would treat me like I was stupid too. 
     Once it was done I walked over to the couch and turned on the news while drinking the whatever it's called. A news flash comes up. I sit up straight and the glass in my hand drops and shatters on the floor. I rush out the door but remember I don't have the car and now Mikasa doesn't either.
     Mikasa got into a car accident, a bad one at that, and I had no way of getting to the hospital. I had no way of holding her in my arms and telling her that I still mean the promise I told her. That I'm not leaving her and she's not leaving me.
     I run back to the tv to turn it off and grab my jacket when Armin's body pops up on the tv. My heart pounds.
     "This boy seems to have no family to go to and no one to pay his hospital treatment. He will stay until he wakes up from his coma. Once he does, if the bill is not paid he will be put into debt. We have no data of when he will wake up. That also goes for the girl."
     I run outside, down the street, through the traffic on the highway, and into the hospital room that had Mikasa and Armin.
     I'm not gonna lie, tears streamed down my face. I haven't cried in 7 years. That night I cried myself to sleep, those weren't sad tears, those were tears of rage. These are real tears and they fell to the floor with my body at the sight of Mikasa and Armin in comas.