Chapter Two

When I woke the next morning, I noticed Alex peeking through the crack of the door, him quickly walking away, me hearing the click of his door closing.

What was with Alex?

He never was there the second I woke. I didn't understand it, and Alex probably didn't either. His sudden interest in watching me sleep freaked me out a little bit, but I didn't think much of it.

I slipped out from under my covers, landing lightly on my feet. I brought my balled up hands to my eyes, wiping the sleep out of my eyes with a bit too much effort, moisture overflowing slightly.

I walked over to my wardrobe, picking out just another plain tee shirt and another pair of skinny jean, quickly dressing. I checked my hair in the mirror, noticing my bedhead hair actually looked nice, shrugging and went down the stairs.

Alex wasn't downstairs yet, probably getting dressed. I looked at the calender, smiling at it being Alex's birthday.

I had been planning a surprise birthday party for the past few weeks, wanting it just to be perfect for his twenty first. We would probably just get wasted, but at least we would have fun.

Alex came down the stairs, a little smile on his face, walking into the kitchen and sitting down on a chair by the table.

"Happy birthday," I said, taking the present I had hidden ontop of the fridge, handing the well wrapped parcel to him.

"Thanks," he said softly, his voice so boyish. He carefully unwrapped it, opening the little box and seeing the beanie that I had wrapped up.

"Are you kidding me?" he asked with a laugh. "I have loads."

"That's why I got you it. You love your beanies," I said with a wink, him just groaning.

"You're such a dickhead."

"Thanks," I replied. He never ever meant his insults, unless he started crying. When he was emotional, he meant every word he says.

"Really, you are a dick."

"I know, I'm not deaf," I said, patting him on the shoulder, walking into the sitting room and flopping onto the couch.

"Wanna go out tonight?" I asked, him raising an eyebrow.

"So bringing me out to get wasted is your actual present?"

I thought about my answer, just smiling at his question. "I'll pay for your drinks, my friend. Get pissed if you want. Just don't die."

He smiled at my joke of concern, walking into the sitting room and flopping on the couch, his legs hanging off the edge.

"Alex?" I said, him just humming in response. "Why did you stalk me again this morning?"

"I don't know," he said, scratching back of his neck. "I just..."

"Alex, if you don't tell me what's up, I'll feed you dog food." He just laughed, but he laughed nervously.

"I'm going out," he said, getting up, walking into the hall and grabbing his jacket.

"I'll come with you," I said, standing up but he shook his head.

"I just want to go for a walk alone. I'll be back in a while," he said and walked out the door. Really, what was up with him? One minute we're fine, the next he is worried or is upset with me and wants to be alone. If he has his period, I better buy him ice cream. I don't like when he's like that. He doesn't usually have mood swings.

I sighed, slouching down into the couch, seeing Alex go round the corner and out of the estate.

I flicked on the television, just wondering what the fuck was up. He just seemed so out of character lately. Him being self concious of himself, his mood swings. He never acted like that, and I didn't like it that much.