Chapter Ten

Walking up the street in the cool early morning air, Alex's hand in mine. It wasn't as cold as Alaska was, of course, but our breaths turned cold, me seeing Alex shake slightly.

The early spring morning, Alex had woke me early, him unable to sleep nor able to wake me up. I think it scared him a bit, but after a few minutes my eyes fluttered open to see his face, him sleepy with slight blue marks under his eyes. He told me he had had a nightmare, but didn't tell me what about, me just leaving him be, suggesting to go out on this walk.

His eyes just gazed down at our hands for most of the short walk, our fingers intwined. He was wearing his black winter coat I had got him at some point, his other hand hidden under the sleeve. His chin was hidden under his collar, his hair greasy. His hair was a nice shade of brown though, it being changed colour from the usual dark blonde.

I guided him round the corner, his eyes still on our hands, him suddenly bumping into someone, me recognising the person only as an old class mate of ours, Rian Dawson.

He had moved away years ago, us probably only fifteen, Alex, him and I along with a few others being friends.

Of course, he gave us his famous smile I remember he had even back then, showing off his blindingly white teeth.

"Jack, Alex. It's been years," he said happily, pulling me into a tight squeezeof a hug, it a bit uncomfortable. He gave Alex a hug too.

"How long have you been back?" Alex asked, a soft smile on his face as his eyes wandered up and down Rian, him seeing what changed about Rian, his hair, anything.

"I've been back a few weeks. So you two never get out of here?" he asked, his bright smile still as wide, me fearing he'd break if he smiled much more.

"We've actually both just went to Alaska for the winter," Alex said, "but I guess, we haven't gotten out." I felt his hand slide back around mine, Rian eying our hands as they joined.

"Are you a couple or something?" he asked, his smile a bit faded, but still there.

"Yes, we are," Alex said, turning to me to give me a smile, me feeling my cheeks going red at our reveal. We had barely been talking to Rian for five minutes, him learning we are both gay and together. But it could be worse. Alex and I could of been serial killers or something. There's nothing wrong with us being inlove.

"I always had a feeling," Rian said, a softer smile appearing, less teeth.

"So, are you in a relationship?" I asked. "Do you have a job?"

He shook his head. "I left my job to move back here, and there's no special person in my life right now," he said, nearly biting his tongue at the end.

I liked the way he said 'person' , not girl or guy or whatever he was into. It had been years, he could be straight, gay or bisexual and we wouldn't know.

"I'm meeting with a few old friends tonight if you'd like to come. The ones that still live here anyway," Rian asked, Alex nodding his head eagerly, Rian saying goodbye and walked off.

"This is going to be fun, Jack," Alex said, pulling me into a loose hug, quickly pulling away showing a bright smile.

His teeth may not as been as bright as Rian's, but his whole face seemed to grow so warm with it, his mouth grinning so wide as we continued our walk, me just thinking if I was ready to reveal to all my middle school and high school friends that I was gay.

It was something I dreaded having to do, but I couldn't live my true life with Alex if I lived under a shadow around friends.

It just wasn't right, to them or Alex. I needed to just man the fuck up and tell people that I was happy with who I was, happy with Alex.