Chapter 33

Jonathan's POV

"Lucas, I brought you breakfast." I said while holding the plate. I waited for the door to open but minutes passed and I didn't receive any response. He didn't answer as expected.

"I also brought you a glass of milk." I added. It might work...?

There's no reply once again. I sigh and decided to knock this time.

"Lucas, I know you're in there. Please come out."

There's still no sign of him having an intention of answering me and so I just put the plate with food in front of the door.

"Alright. If you really don't want to talk with us it's fine. I'm just gonna put down your food here in front of your door if you ever feel hungry. I'm gonna leave now." I said. I turn around and walk away. I went back down the stairs and walk towards the kitchen where my husband was leaning against the counter and waiting for the coffee maker to be done boiling his black coffee.

"Told you it's no use. Just give up." He said without looking at me when I walk inside the kitchen. I sigh and sit on one of the stool.

"No way am I going to just give up." I replied with a frown. He sigh as well and turn off the machine before starting pouring the both of us a coffee.

"Look, that guy will never change. That attitude will lead him to failure and disappointment. Not only did he fail his parents' expectation but he also fail himself as a son." He said. Somehow, I could feel my blood boil at his words. I grit my teeth and clench my fists.

"Failure? Disappointment? Not reaching your parents' expectation? Are those what you guys are really afraid of?" I started. Anger is slowly rising in my head. He seemed to notice the change in my tone and stopped pouring the cups.

"Is achieving your parents' expectation more important than your own? Have they ever thought of the child's feelings? Is it already called a disgrace if that child follow his own dreams?"

I'm no longer talking about his cousin.

He slowly approach me as I keep talking. "Is it a sin to atleast be selfish when it comes to they're future?"

I'm talking about myself.

He reach out his right hand and put it on my cheek, wiping the trail of tears I didn't notice that has fallen down on my eyes.

"It wasn't failure or disappointment that you should be afraid of. Not also death." I stopped talkin to look at him. He look down and we made eye contact, I then sadly smile.

"It was regret. Either you regret doing it or regret not doing anything at all." I finished along with my last tear. I lean closer to his hand and put mine on top of it.

"I'm sorry." He apologized. "I didn't know you felt that way." He added. I shake my head and smile.

"It's okay. Let's eat already before the food gets cold." I replied, sniffling a few times and wiping the remaining tears. He nodded and walk first towards the dining room. I stood up and was about to follow him when I heard movements from behind but when I look back I saw nothing.

Must be my imagination.

I ignore it and follow my husband.

--x

As usual, Tyler came to the shop and just hanging out with me. It's lunch so now we decided to just hang out on one of the vacant tables inside the shop.

"Hey so uhh... did you somehow got a gift the other day?" Tyler asked. Sipping on his frappuccino.

"Gift?" I repeated. He slowly nodded while keeping his stare at me. I thought about it and remember receiving one that Scotty handed me last night.